Is General Diary a mandate to replace lost/stolen sim cards?

• Thread starter Thread starter godric_gt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 7,386
ISP
Airtel 4G, Jio 4G
Guys, I know operators ask to file a General Diary for missing or stolen SIM cards, but is it a mandate? Can the SIM not be issued without a General Diary? Asking because I am facing a big time problem with the Police people here. What happened goes something like this, before boarding a bus from place A I had the mobile, but after I got off at place B i found my mobile missing, now the police station people near place A says I need to go to the police station under the jurisdiction of place B, and vice versa, and even some of them suggested that I should go to the police stations midway between these two places. Now my operator which is Vodafone in this case says I need to provide them with a General Diary else they won't issue my SIM but I am not getting any help from the police people here 🙁 Mine is a Vodafone Corporate Postpaid connection, I have been using this number for years, I do not see any other choice other than to simply go and surrender the number to the operator 🙁 Please suggest if you have any ideas?

Just an Idea...Go to your home/office nearest police station and say that you left your home/office for nearby general store/chemist/lunch spot / bar (ensure that place is covered under the same Police station) and you found your mobile missing. Initially you thought that you have left your mobile at your home/office but did not find. You have lost the phone and want to report the same to police.this way, (1) there is not FIR so police is happy as the count of crime in their area does not increase (2) you get the report...Ps. this is just an idea.... and i do not recommend or suggest the same.... but this should help u get through the infinite loop...else, file a RTI with the whole story and asking which police station the report should be written and depending on the reply go to that police station and record the conversation with the police guy u talk to .. if they still refuse then to police facebook page (incase your state police has one) and publish the conversation and the RTI act copy....Warning: the RTI way might get you through once, but there is risk of police harassing you on other times as you would not be in their good books for obvious reasons.....

^^ For god shake...please read before you reply! How can you help regarding filing an FIR?

Admin should start monitoring these replies from VF & other CC in this forum.

^^ Absolutely. Repeatative and Template replies should be considered in spam(IMO).

Ideally IMO the responses should come here and they should not be asking to post an enquiry directly on their site, they need to understand that we are coming here because we are not getting the required help from their end! Still I decided to give it a shot and went and posted an enquiry on their website, as expected it was the same usual blunt response "Sir, you need to get a General Diary done without which we cannot issue you a replacement sim". In my response I threatened them that I am surrendering their connection since they are not able to help me out, it's their fault and their loss.

By the way, my problem is solved now, one of my friend helped me out.