Is external IP address same for a LAN?

• Thread starter Thread starter inetbum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 4,750
explain what u mean ?

I think he is asking whether our IP addresses when we are online are related to our LAN. Most probably 202.144 is common.

What I mean is that does each member of a particular LAN get a different external IP (the one other than of the form 10.x.x.x), or do all the members of a LAN get the same external IP. This question comes into my mind because in certain cybercafes I used to frequent all the machines had different internal ips but the same external ip. The cybercafes which I am talking about had a 24x7 internet connection using either a ADSL modem or a cable modem, so whatever external ip they had, it wouldn't change, often in 3 days in a row that I visited them.Another thing is that I have observed that when I log out and log back in on Sify at a different time, I get a different external ip than the one before. This makes me tend to think that after all my fellow members on my LAN might be getting their own external ips independent of me.

Each PC would get a different IP address, but it may be in the same range ... in cyber cafe's there would one central server connected to the internet, and net access is "shared" by the other pcs. So the external ip would be the same. This is what I *think* so it maybe wrong.Our ip's change each time we login, this much is true

I'v checked this on 2-3 machines in a duration of 10-15 minutes, all IPs were same.I guess u got the answer

i doubt he needs to. CTOs must have a seperate section on Sify's server to keep a check on users on their network.atleast they should have... 🙂

noif an external ip was being shared by a subnet it wudnt change everytime u log off and log in.bsides, a shared (by subnet) ip cant create servers. since we CAN create servers, external ip is unique (atleast till the time you are logged in)

Originally posted by inetbum@Nov 14 2004, 02:02 AM
Surjeett, did you check them in the customer's houses ?
[snapback]2021[/snapback]
[/quote]

Umm..u can it was kinda customer's house only...i have 3 different machine running all the time, using different packs and different internal ipz, but the outcome was same on all three.

Originally posted by hpgupta@Nov 14 2004, 11:23 AM
no

if an external ip was being shared by a subnet it wudnt change everytime u log off and log in.

bsides, a shared (by subnet) ip cant create servers. since we CAN create servers, external ip is unique (atleast till the time you are logged in)
[snapback]2029[/snapback]
[/quote]

U mean to say, i can run a web/game server off my comp using sify connection ? 😀

BTW, Mr. Gupta, dont u think ur first post was suppose to be under "introduce urself" thingy ?No...not forcin u...just talkin about some common thing wich is very uncommon these days 😀

U mean to say, i can run a web/game server off my comp using sify connection ? [/b]

yeah u can. infact i have made game servers lots of times. friends using sify, touchtel, mantra and dialup have even connected to them.
i dont see any reason why u shud not be able to host a web server too.

BTW, Mr. Gupta, dont u think ur first post was suppose to be under "introduce urself" thingy ?
No...not forcin u...just talkin about some common thing wich is very uncommon these days [/b]

yeah i know, actually when i registered the first thing i did was add a reply to that topic. however, while i was typing, the network went down. forgot to do it again later 😛 wud do it now 😀

Ok fine, in that case, i expect ur comp to be online for us (users here) to play out ne game against/with each other.Hey Sushubh! u listenin to this ...ehh? 😉

hey gupta which software do du use for hosting web server on ur system ..plz tel us tht we also could do this