• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 1,782

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
I have very very old Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop purchased in 2008-09. I had installed official Win 8 Pro and later upgraded to Win 10 Pro. Laptop has DDR2 4 GB RAM (2x2GB) 800 MHz. Laptop takes long time (like 4-5 minutes to boot) and most software are also sluggish.
I think if I upgrade RAM to 8 GB, Laptop may perform better. I checked few local stores, but most store owners are saying DDR2 RAM is not available with more than 2GB.
I found this link of Amazon which mentions 4GB DDR2 RAM by Samsung, but reviews are mixed, like some reviewer mentioned that RAM is 2 GB, but seller placed fake label of 4GB!!!
Would this RAM be genuine and perform better?

Laptop also has Keyboard (some keys not working, it is sorted by Bluetooth Keyboard). Screen also has issue of displaying Grey/White screen during booting and shutdown. So I am not sure to whether do any investment in this laptop further, as there is no probability of resale as well.

Instead of buying more RAM, try replacing the HDD with an SSD. That should do the job.

His laptop is too old to have a sata 4 port. Even if he did replace his hdd with ssd he won't get more than 100mbps read/write speed . So there will be no change in performance maybe a little bit but it's not worth the investment. The issue with boot time is only because of the hdd . It has nothing to do with ram . If you open multiple softwares at same time then more ram will help. BTW DDR2 ram is available in only 2gb there is no 4gb or 8gb DDR2 ram. Those are fake don't buy .

Last edited:
Thanks @royalroy @Phanindra Musinada @socrates for replies.
I guess I let the Laptop live peacefully and get occasional Windows 10 upgrades until it stops working. I anyways use it occasionally like once in a month to check old data.
My distant imagination was to try Windows 11 on it, but almost everything (BIOS, CPU, Security, HDD) in laptop is not compatible for Windows 11 😀