Is BSNL FTTH reliable?

@fairusagepfft

Reliance 3 CDMA might not be the fastest at all places. But it is pretty reliable. Much more than TATA/airtel. Speeds should stay 1mbit even during peak hours. Unfortunately, that makes it a poor choice for a primary connection.

Tata CDMA is pretty reasonable too for a backup connection.

As for FTTH, I'd had a 1mbit no fup plan. Speed was 1 Mbit, fwiw.

Yes, Reliance 3 is pretty stable, and they've got awesome coverage. The speed is an issue, so I can't even dream of using it as a primary connection. I tried doing that, and couldn't get any work done at all. I'm using my Reliance 3 as a backup connection. Are you referring to Photon? They've got some rather shitty plans with very low data.

I can't seem to find a 1Mbit non-FUP plan on BSNLs website, was it discontinued or a special offer?

Not photon. Tata CDMA via an unlocked CDMA dongle. 256 bucks for 4GB. No way as reasonable as rcom, but still decent for a backup connection.

Fwiw photon uses the tata cdma network. So if you live in a photon max city you can get pretty good speeds. Also, if you live in a reliance pro3 city, then too you can get good speeds on rcom. All on an unlocked CDMA revB dongle. What city though?

Probably. I took the service during the testing phase in Gurgaon, so special offer I guess.

I use BSNL FTTH speeds remain stable throughout the day.You get almost same or higher upload speed than the download speed.But the latency is worst.All the connections are router through US nodes and you get a ping of 350 on EU and 440 on Singapore.So any server outside of India is gonna post some very bad latency.Forget about online gaming.

BSNL is not suitable for anything.Maybe other ISPs except reliance and airtel maybe able to provide you with better service. Railwire is exceptional I hear.

Why do you think BSNL is bad? My work is mostly latency insensitive, I don't really do any online gaming, but yeah, I do use a lot of video calling apps like Skype and stuff. Can I expect that to work horribly badly?

@Sandepp I see you mentioned on the previous page that you get higher upload speeds than download speeds. So are these connections symmetrical? Good upload speeds are almost unheard of with most ISPs in India, and the connection being symmetrical would be reason enough for me to get a BSNL connection.

Yes you get similar upload speeds to download speeds in BSNL FTTH.Since Fiber provides huge bandwidth upload speeds can be given at the same rate as download.

no gaming. but pings for me are generally better than airtel to servers i tend to access. but then it could be just shitty wiring from airtel. if you want results for pings/tracerts to servers from reliance broadband, just create a new thread in reliance section and list the ips.

sure
no gaming. but pings for me are generally better than airtel to servers i tend to access. but then it could be just shitty wiring from airtel. if you want results for pings/tracerts to servers from reliance broadband, just create a new thread in reliance section and list the ips.
sure ! thnx 🙂

I have BSNL FTTH. I game on Xbox one and ps4. Sometimes on PC too. One of the issues I had with adsl which was latency has been greatly improved. Now I've had pretty bad experience with bsnl earlier but at this point I am enjoying online gaming and also movies on my Apple TV run on full had without any problems. I also use Netflix and Hulu on my Apple TV which I've configured with unblock us. These days I've been playing the last of us online on the ps4 and I usually get 2-3 bars. On Xbox I play a lot of master chief collection and that seems good too.