Is BSNL FTTH reliable?

ISP
Reliance, Tikona, BSNL
Hey guys.
I've been contemplating getting a BSNL FTTH connection for a while now, but I'm not sure how good it is. My past experiences with BSNL wired connections have been horrid, which makes me a little cautious. I had their landline broadband connection and faced issues with frequent disconnection.
If you've used BSNL FTTH, how was your experience with it? What was the quality of the connection? Did you see a lot of jitter? Was your ping acceptable? How much of the promised speed did you usually see? If you have any speedtest and pingtest results, that would be great too. Sorry for asking so many questions at once.

In my town BSNL exchange, I asked for FTTH connection and they said its available in particular area only and confirmed it will never become available in my area.. Later I checked their plans.. Almost all are coming with 512kbps speed post FUP.. A HUGE GIANT FACEPALM... So I don't really miss FTTH...

I checked with BSNL, and it seems to be available in my area, since their office is about 1/2 km away. I really hate the concept of a 'FUP', as indicated by my username. Almost every other country has unmetered home connections. Their plans are not really great, but they are the best bang for the buck for FTTH(apart from tata, which sucks).

Yes. Pretty reliable. But then bsnl ADSL is pretty reliable too.

FTTH won't have line issues like disconnections. Latency depends on load at local gateway and routing in general. Can't be predecired without testing a connection in your area. For me, the latency during peak hours was only slightly better than ADSL, other times significantly better than ADSL.

What percentage of the promised speed were you seeing? Their 10-16 mbps plans look pretty good, but if I get like 5-8 instead, then I'd rather go with something else.

well regulation states that you should get 80% of advertised speeds at all times.

I had no idea such a regulation existed. I have a Reliance connection that consistently delivers only 30% of the advertised speed, could you link me to or provide some more information about this regulation?

the 4mbps reliance thunder plans rarely go below 3.2mbps for me. but then it never goes above 3.4mbps as well 😀

this regulation does not apply on wireless connections because of tons of other factors that are involved.

Ah, too bad. I won't be able to do anything about my 30% speed with Reliance apart from a cancellation then it seems. However, the 80% regulation does increase my confidence going with FTTH from BSNL.

when it comes to wireless internet services, best is to get an unlocked device and test sims for all the players in your area and test them for a few days individually and then decide which one to stick with.

I've been to many places in my city with the Reliance 3 dongle, and nowhere do I seem to be able to get speeds above 1 mbps. I did exactly the thing you stated, and it turns out only the costliest of players have good connectivity in my area(Tata, Airtel, etc.)

well it is hard to get all three things in a single player. if it was, everyone would flock to them and their network would become congested and things would get back to square one.