Is BSNL ever going to provide 1 gigabit broadband?

They won't be able to provide gigabit speeds anytime soon. Their infra isn't ready for gigabit speeds. Sure, they have the capacity to provide gigabit. But in most of the BSNL exchanges they are using 100Mbps OLTs except a few exchanges. Only LCOs are using gigabit OLTs. And if the connection is being provided through LCO, gigabit speeds are out of the question. LCOs are provided with 2-3 gigabit fibre ports with link aggregation in my area. So unless they upgrade it to QSFP or better they won't be able to satisfy bandwidth requirements. Being a PSU has it's own perks. But infrastructure upgrade is not one of them.

Also some users reported they are getting more than the advertised speed. That's due to the bufferbloating in routers. If your router/ap supports disabling buffer bloat will help you to see the actual spped. Download a youtube video, then you will see your actual speed. Maybe it might spike for an instant, but will go back to your advertised speed.

I hope they wiil increase the speed of their minimum fiber plans to 100mbps and provide higher speeds in the high cost bracket as 200mbps, 300mbps instead of providing gigabit speeds which is not much worth for a normal home customer.

1 Gbps isn't common in the West. People are mostly happy with 100-300 Mbps in the West. 1 Gbps is widely available but most households won't be able to saturate that connection speeds. It's mostly a wastage of bandwidth.

1 Gbps isn't common in the West. People are mostly happy with 100-300 Mbps in the West. 1 Gbps is widely available but most households won't be able to saturate that connection speeds. It's mostly a wastage of bandwidth.
What a poor logic. BSNL should at least have 1 Gbps plans available on their website. Let public decide whether they want them or not. BTW, I can myself saturate 1 Gbps connection if I want. People will find ways to do it sooner or later.

I agree with @anand777 and also the first priority of BSNL should be giving affordable service rather than focusing on gigabit speeds.
Also,they should try and expand thier coverage area rather than spending money to provide gigabit for existing customers.

Yep, the number of subscribers who'd want gigabit speeds is relatively much much less. They'd need to concentrate on increasing coverage.

For most use cases, 100 Mbps is decent enough. Multiple simultaneous video streams HD or above.

What a poor logic. BSNL should at least have 1 Gbps plans available on their website. Let public decide whether they want them or not. BTW, I can myself saturate 1 Gbps connection if I want. People will find ways to do it sooner or later.

How can a normal home user saturate a Gigabit connection?

Yes 100mbps fiber speeds is more than adequate for my house. What would be nice is more data fup. Esp for us torrenting 4k movies

Think of people like gamers who have DLC content which comes to 50 GB or 100 GB and so on.

With just a 100 mbps connection it will take 1-2 hours to download but with 1 gbps connection the download time will reduce to 5-10 minutes.

For people like me who regularly download software in the form of operating system ISO images which are 2-3 GB on 100 mbps it takes 3 minutes or so and with 1 gbps it will be done in a flash of under 30 seconds !

Well Atleast BSNL should focus on providing FTTH speeds at a range greater than 100mbps ,they are still maxed at 100 mbps.They can provide 100,200, 300 mbps plans if not 1Gbps plans Pan india wise