Is BitTorrent traffic good for ISP?

acc1444

Regular
Regulars
Nowadays, BitTorrent is going popular and No. of BitTorrent users have being increased every year.
I mean to say that,
As an ISP, is BitTorrent traffic good financially?

Present your views and reason.

----------

I was thinking that it is not good for ISP because ISP has trouble in giving committed speed to their users because of Bit Torrent traffic. BitTorrent traffic bothers a lot to ISP servers. It is a network nuisance.
About cost, it is costly to afford for ISP.

Sushubh

Administrator
i think BT is good for ISPs if there are more seeders on their network. mgcarley has indicated that if international ISPs download data from you, it helps your overall internet bill?

Jaymin

A Big Fan of IBF
Regulars
The high usage plans with higher speeds, with as much liberal FUP as possible are opted by subscribers just due to Bit Torrent traffic. Home users are freely going for high cost plans, that offer good speed, and as reasonable FUP as possible.

acc1444

Regular
Regulars
i think BT is good for ISPs if there are more seeders on their network. mgcarley has indicated that if international ISPs download data from you, it helps your overall internet bill?

Yeah buddy.
It is cheap and profitable as an ISP only if ISP has the largest network in whole nation.

----------

The high usage plans with higher speeds, with as much liberal FUP as possible are opted by subscribers just due to Bit Torrent traffic. Home users are freely going for high cost plans, that offer good speed, and as reasonable FUP as possible.
They implement FUP to earn more profit if they have network in whole nation. I said that I was thinking that BitTorrent is costly to afford for an ISP.

But when I read following article and discussion carrying out on this forum by mgcarley.
Source:
Large ISPs Profit From BitTorrent Traffic, Study Finds | TorrentFreak

acc1444

Regular
Regulars
Bit-torrent is not that bandwidth intensive. Heck, youtube eats up much more bandwidth than torrents.
Yeah but not like BitTorrent.
In youtube, videos' quality are set as per default setting which is 360p. If I consider speed in India and usage allowance, nobody uses beyond 480p even I tried a lot to play videos with 720p but I could not because of less speed.
In BitTorrent, most of users download files having minimum size 700MB which is movie DVD rip size and some are fond of downloading Games which average file size is 1GB.
As per statistic revealed and which I read on internet, BitTorrent sucks a lot usage rather than video. Users prefer to watch youtube videos but they prefer quality if they watch movies on youtube. The best source to download quality movie is BitTorrent which gives contents free of cost.

----------

Youtube servers are powered by Google.
So, as I know, nearest node for us to get contents from youtube is in Australia. So, it will be more cheap to afford.
But BitTorrent traffic will be more cheap than video streaming if it is national. Otherwise, it will be depend on location.

Sushubh

Administrator
youtube is actually working on a variable speed technology that might be launched in the near future. it should be nice to have.

Sushubh

Administrator
its simple. youtube would change the video quality automatically while playing the video depending upon how much bandwidth is available. this technology is already used by lots of services including Hulu.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sushubh Apps 2
Sushubh Technology 0
Sushubh Apps 0
Sushubh Apps 1
Sushubh Apps 9