• Thread starter Thread starter mtnlpacked
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 5,821

mtnlpacked

Back to NoS on Mtnl
ISP
Fraud BAnd Hai Tao Sahi Hai
Now it's a straight 5th day i am experiencing DNS error....Is anyone else using MTNL DNS SERVER setting experiencing the problem?

use opendns.com DNS serversremove all DNS and use these:208.67.222.222208.67.220.220

ya i know that but ping is too low as compared to mtnl servers specially that .227 one.

who cares for microseconds delay when u get reliability?and security aginst phishing?

lolzzz! I care , Faster response quicker the site opens.Anyway i can use it as long as mtnl DNS are down!

faster? if average page loads in say 5 seconds.. with opendns it might take5.3 seconds... thats not much and that too just for first page of site onlyfurther clicks on same site will load at same speed.u would hardly save 2-3 min in whole day by using MTNL and not opendns.comeon sleep less! 😛

i have had issues with opendns system. some of my sites were showing the suspended page from older servers from where i had moved like 10 days back...

http://ntcanuck.com/

use this dns caching mechanism with these dns:

local cache would remove the microsecond delays the second time u visit a particular website.

opendns has caching but it follows DNS standards.hence suspended page can not show unless DNS for those sites hadhuge DNS TTL, which is actually not opendns fault.OR there was proxy with ur ISP or on route running in offline modewhich was showing old page. again not an opendns fault!anyway will check the link u sent.

Am on mtnl dude same as your isp.Getting 217 kbps thats really great.Has anybody done a research on Fastest Open DNS or those mentioned here were the fastest 😱

QUOTE(Amish @ Nov 7 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]68014[/snapback]
opendns has caching but it follows DNS standards.
hence suspended page can not show unless DNS for those sites had
huge DNS TTL, which is actually not opendns fault.

OR there was proxy with ur ISP or on route running in offline mode
which was showing old page. again not an opendns fault!

anyway will check the link u sent.
[/b]

well. the end user suffer coz of outdated dns. the 4.2 series are pretty fast in updating dns servers. best when u are into developing websites. 🙂

QUOTE(MtnlPacked @ Nov 7 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]68017[/snapback]
Am on mtnl dude same as your isp.Getting 217 kbps thats really great.

Has anybody done a research on Fastest Open DNS or those mentioned here were the fastest 😱
[/b]

i didnt get ur first line. i.e. in what context did u say that?

open dns just has those 2 DNS servers... but geographically distributed.
so ur packets would reach the nearest one and hence faster response.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Nov 7 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]68018[/snapback]
well. the end user suffer coz of outdated dns. the 4.2 series are pretty fast in updating dns servers. best when u are into developing websites. 🙂
[/b]

ok did preliminary analysis betn opendns and treewalk dns.
comparision table is as follows:

domain lookup | opendns | treewalk dns
----------------| time(ms) | time (ms)
-------------------------------------------
google.co.in | 255 | 240
google.com | 209 | 236
rediff.com | 280 | 330
msn.co.in | 351 | 375
msn.com | 386 | 377

so not much difference in speed. both are almost same.

but maybe 4.2 servers keep less caching time. so DNS refreshes more often
and that may be the reason of few milisecond difference.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Nov 7 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]68024[/snapback]
i really doubt they have anything for us indians considering most of the web surfers here even know the basics of how we connect to the web. i did post a comment at their blog suggesting that india based DNS servers are really pathetic and they might be interested in setting something here.

http://blog.opendns.com/2006/06/21/millise...t/#comment-3738
[/b]

yes geographic distribution is currently just in usa. but then considering VSNL has
direct lines to USA (eg. USA sites ping response are faster than UK, even if UK is half
distance closer). we might be getting (not so sure) that advantage as well.

but u r right. currently nothing for india and wont come in near future as well.

umm... 4.2. series is owned by Level 3 Communications. The company operates one of the largest communications and Internet backbones in the world, making it a Tier 1 network.

treewalk makes a software application which works locally as a dns cache. so after a while u rely less on the online dns servers.

no one can beat the cache hosted on ur own computer right?