IRC Undernet no longer accessible from India ISP's??

• Thread starter Thread starter lenkite
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 6,071

lenkite

ISP
Airtel
Hi all,

Across India, since the last week of August, all IRC users of Undernet have been unable to sign on!! Airtel users across all the cities (Bangalore, Delhi, etc) noticed this.

Initially I believed this to be an Airtel only problem, but now I have come across posts by Hathway users on the same issue in the same timeframe. All connection attemps to IRC Undernet network (eu.undernet.org/us.undernet.org/other undernet networks) timeout.

This looks to be a strange issue, since the Undernet servers are functioning fine according to the Undernet people at undernet.org. And they are indeed accessible from abroad.

My question: Do users of other ISP's apart from Airtel face a problem in signing onto IRC Undernet? We need to band together, raise our voices and get this issue sorted!

Best Regards,
Tarun

See the undernet forums at
Undernet Forum • View topic - Undernet Connection Problem

Also, if you are facing this issue please mail me at lenkite DOT gmail DOT com. I am making a list of people who are users of Undernet and frustrated at our ISP's and if the ISP's know that a large, vocal and united userbase are not happy with their blocking actions, they might get around to fixing this problem instead of ignoring individual complaints from users.

TYPO: that should be lenkite AT gmail DOT com

can anyone confirm this?maybe CERT has blocked this.

Thankfully it seems I can access Undernet fine, so it must be a problem on Airtel's side.

hmmm...I'm on Hathway and I'm not able to access Undernet either. It seems like a nation-wide issue doesn't it? I mean, Airtel, Hathway, MTNL are experiencing the same problem. I heard somewhere that government ISP's like MTNL, VSNL etc. give their bandwidth and rights to the private ISP's, so it could be that MTNL has blocked Undernet, that's why other ISP's can't access it...just a wild guess hehehe, but seriously, I'm waiting for this problem to go away, I emailed my ISP but no reply till now, prolly they're confused what IRC is all about...I'm really really frustrated right now, 'cause I miss IRC :wall:😢

Hi folks,

Latest Info on IRC Undernet issue:

After 4 complaints and a gap of one month and >20 calls, my ISP Airtel finally reverted to me with the information that the IP address range associated with IRC Undernet network has been blocked on the basis of 'security' advice provided to them by their network carrier BTSOL. (Bharti Telesonic Ltd).

The ticket lodged by Airtel (Bangalore) with BTSOL awaiting confirmation of this blockade : 741477. They will only unblock the IP addresses if BTSOL replies back with a green light.

I would suggest everyone contacting their ISP's customer care department and provide them this information and ask their ISP's to follow up/create a separate ticket with BTSOL. (which is the network carrier for many Indian ISP's ).

This should also be done by Airtel users in other cities since the zonal administration and ticket numbers are different.

I also just created a google groups irc-undernet-blocked@googlegroups.com on this issue. I would encourage all affected users to join this group and provide their experiences or any information. Home page of groups: http://groups.google.com/group/irc-undernet-blocked

i am writing this to times of india and trai.they cant secretly shut it down.i sue their ass

its quite accessible from mtnl.... but why are they blocking it anyway? its not some dawood ibrahim network is it ?