ipv6 address allocated. But cant access ipv6

• Thread starter Thread starter ifru
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 4,665
Same for me too. ipv6 address assigned but no internet over it. Been like this for a few days now.

Did this issue got resolved for you all?

I hope this is the write thread to post this.

Are you guys still getting ipv6?

This is my setup [ISP] -> bridged ISP router -> OpenWrt router -> [LAN]

Bridged router is in dual stack config

I am getting an ipv6 address and a delegated prefix, and the DHCPv6 interface is shown as connected, with a default gateway and such. Does this mean that BSNL has natively enabled ipv6 for my area so to speak, or is this something to be expected from a dual stack config that doesn't necessarily mean ipv6 internet connection? [which is more or less the title of the thread, yz i knw😬]

anyways, I can't ping from LAN , Zero packets are being returned. Traceroute show a single Hop to the ipv6 address of Lan interface of OpenWrt i believe, and the next Hop is always Destination Unreachable [means there is a problem with the route?]

Pinging within the router is more or less the same No response; traceroute shows single route to an address which is similar to an ipv6 address but in the WAN6 interface(in OpenWrt Terms).

Could this be a misconfiguration in my end, or is it simply that ipv6 just haven't been enabled for my area despite the address and PD?

I lean more to the latter, but the one thing that bothers me is Traceroute ; a single Hop? Is there something off in that??
plus there is an OpenWrt thread about the possibility of misconfig and route issue in ipv6, and i checked the routes with my with limited ipv6 knowledge, using ifstatus and couldn't tell if there something wrong in it , cuz i don't know what should be the correct ones.

i gotta say i tried many things and I tried to mess with a lot of settings in OpenWrt but tough luck!

I should also add this; in OpenWrt i have the usual PPPOE Wan interface, an auto created WAN6 DHCPv6 Interface(connected to eth0.137 device which is vlan id of my wan) with no ipv4 or ipv6, and another DHCPv6 interface connected to tunnel pppoe device, which is required for ipv6. Does this two DHCPv6 interface Seem odd or is this as it should be.

Digged a lot and followed the other threads but i can't quite confirm the cause. i'm missing out on a lot of details thinking the post is too long, nevertheless i am happy to provide my config details and more if required and thanks in advance.

ps: mind the technically wrong "ipv6" terms and usage.😅

I should also add this; in OpenWrt i have the usual PPPOE Wan interface, an auto created WAN6 DHCPv6 Interface(connected to eth0.137 device which is vlan id of my wan) with no ipv4 or ipv6, and another DHCPv6 interface connected to tunnel pppoe device, which is required for ipv6. Does this two DHCPv6 interface Seem odd or is this as it should be.

You can remove the WAN6 DHCPv6 interface (I think that's the default created in OpenWRT). If things are working, you should see two interfaces one for the PPPoE and another DHCPv6 client.

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 11.54.38 AM.webp

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 11.54.46 AM.webp

I found that enabling automatic management of IPv6 works better (in the main PPPoE interface)

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 11.55.49 AM.webp

If you don't mind, please post screenshot of the interfaces page.

@aswinprasad

I found that enabling automatic management of IPv6 works better (in the main PPPoE interface)
That spawns another Virtual DHVPv6 interface(as documented in OpenWRT), but with settings that can are non-editable right?
upload.webp

You can remove the WAN6 DHCPv6 interface (I think that's the default created in OpenWRT). If things are working, you should see two interfaces one for the PPPoE and another DHCPv6 client.
Oh i may have tried that once perhaps and was not soo keen on it, being so convinced that it was so wrong!
I will look into that and update the details!

In the ss you provided was WAN_6 configured on its own, setting Obtain IPv6 Address to auto and does it get self assigned to wan firewall zone?

Adding my traceroutes too
2020-10-30 (2).webp

2020-10-30 (3).webp

Also in here OpenWrt Project: IPv6 it mentions to add some traffic rules with port 547,546 for ppp based ipv6 Is it necessary ? Have you done that?

The behaviour you are seeing is probably cause the WAN_6 interface is not added to the firewall zone as you suspected. You need to do that manually.

OpenWRT by default adds the DHCPv6 related firewall rules, I didn't need to add anything manually wrt to firewall rules for IPv6.

forgot to thank you for lending out a hand, really appreciate it.
Tried this, outcome is more or less the same.
Same traceroutes as shown above.
The behaviour you are seeing is probably cause the WAN_6 interface is not added to the firewall zone as you suspected. You need to do that manually
tried the AUTO, and manually created another interface, still there seems to be a problem.

Is there something off in that traceroutes i have posted?, gotta admit i don't how knw an ipv6 traceroute ought to look like yet for eg users in this thread have more than one route even when their ipv6 is down.

also in OpenWRT->Status->Overview IPv6 Gateway is being shown as a Link local address i guess,(fe80::...), is that how it should be?

At this point i reckon is should conclude that its the problem with the ISP.

and finally do you have any suggestions for something that i ought to try more!?