iPhone 13 : Jio WiFi calling doesn't work in Airplane mode

ISP
Airtel XTreme Fiber
Hi guys,

I am facing weird issue with Jio WiFi calling on my iPhone. WiFi calling works fine normally, that is, with Airplane mode turned off.
However, when I am turning on Airplane mode, WiFi calling simply doesn't work.
This is not consistent though, when I reboot my iPhone, WiFi calling works fine in Airplane mode, but it works just the first time after a reboot.
Is there any config that I am missing, or this is an issue from Jio/iOS?

Some help/insight on this will be helpful!

The Jio VoWiFi works fine in airplane mode on my Samsung S10 Lite. I am able to make and receive calls just fine over WiFi and the phone in airplane mode.

Note: I am using Airtel Extreme Fiber (100 mbps) connection and it works fine.

Last edited:
It used to work well earlier, in iOS 14 I guess. Now only works the 1st time airplane mode is toggled after a reboot.
Same with Airtel as well.

Guys does airplane mode allow incoming/outgoing SMS messages? Because I can't recieve or send SMS in airplane mode with VoWifi.

@netomato when WiFi calling works in airplane mode, I am able to send/receive sms without any issues. However, most of the time WiFi calling doesn’t when airplane mode is turned on.

@reddevil08 @Samuel I was able to use Jio VoWiFi without issues on iOS 15.7 ! This started after updating to iOS 16. Problem is, I checked with Apple support as well as Jio, both seem to be blaming the other. Also, JIO was not even aware that WiFi calling works in airplane mode, they were like, “Impossible!!”.

As per their website Wifi calling in airplane mode only works with Jio postpaid sim. In Prepaid it doesn't work. However as you said it worked on your iPhone before it's possible that this doesn't apply to iOS. I don't know man Jio itself is doing things differently than they're saying 😂...