Ip Address Conflict

• Thread starter Thread starter gear
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 6,213

gear

I am a new to broadband connection which I got installed at home recently. Whenever I get connected to internet, a message appears 'there is ip address conflict with another system in the network'. On contacting Airtel customer care, they said sometimes their server allots the same ip address to different connections and there is no problem. But on the first month I got a bill of Rs.6000/- whereas I rarely used the internet. Customer care said it is based on usage. My protests did not help. I paid the bill.For the last two months, I am not getting this message.Now since yesterday, I am getting the message again. Customer care reply was same 'no problem'. When I asked whether my account will be charged for the browsing by the other person with same ip address, customer care said no. They say charging is based on the account and not based on ip address.But I have doubts since my first bill was huge, I am afraid something similar may happen this time.Can anybody please help me. Is it true that ip address based charging is not resorted to by airtel? I shall be grateful for the reply and clarification.

They are wrong.Billing software usually associates user session with IP addresses. Any usage during user session from given IP is billed to session.

First of all let me assure you that the 'message' you see points to an internal lan ip conflict(most probably it's a false positive caused due to a corrupt Network config) and not Airtel assigning the same wan ip to different connections. Consider switching to an unlimited plan to avoid billing hassles. To fix the ip conflict problem: 1. Un-install the ethernet card(it'll be under network adapters) from within Device Manager. 2. Restart your comp. Your card will be detected and installed again. If this doesn't solve the problem, Go to Control Panel>Network and Internet Connections>Network Connections. Right click on the Local Area Connection>Properties. Choose (TCP/IP) and click on properties. In the window that opens make sure 'Obtain an ip address automatically' is checked.Also check if DHCP is enabled in ur router settings. If the problem still persists, do an ipconfig in Command Prompt(Accessories). Report back with the info displayed.

Yaa, you shaould check for internal IP confict first.But it might not apply if you are connecting to ADSL router through USB.

QUOTE(netfreak @ Feb 12 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]79589[/snapback]
Yaa, you shaould check for internal IP confict first.

But it might not apply if you are connecting to ADSL router through USB.[/b]

Well, its nothing... just the internal IP is conflicting... I think U've assigned IPs in NIC properties & Modem is also on DHCP.. Either disable DHCP or set NIC on "Obtain the IP address automatically".

As far as i know, ISP donot bill you on the basis of IP u have, they bill you on the sessions, in which ur user id is logged onto the LDAP server. So, if u r getting IP conflict message, its about the confliction of internal IP, if UR WAN Ip conflicts, it doesnot show any warning message on computer screen.

QUOTE(gear @ Feb 12 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]79584[/snapback]
I am a new to broadband connection which I got installed at home recently. Whenever I get connected to internet, a message appears 'there is ip address conflict with another system in the network'. On contacting Airtel customer care, they said sometimes their server allots the same ip address to different connections and there is no problem. But on the first month I got a bill of Rs.6000/- whereas I rarely used the internet. Customer care said it is based on usage. My protests did not help. I paid the bill.
For the last two months, I am not getting this message.
Now since yesterday, I am getting the message again. Customer care reply was same 'no problem'. When I asked whether my account will be charged for the browsing by the other person with same ip address, customer care said no. They say charging is based on the account and not based on ip address.
But I have doubts since my first bill was huge, I am afraid something similar may happen this time.
Can anybody please help me. Is it true that ip address based charging is not resorted to by airtel? I shall be grateful for the reply and clarification.[/b]

before asking any kind of help .. could you update you profile with your location and inter connection type.... ur using MTNL 100mbps den why u called Airtel ? :lol:

QUOTE(NetAnt @ Feb 13 2007, 06:42 PM) [snapback]79697[/snapback]
before asking any kind of help .. could you update you profile with your location and inter connection type.... ur using MTNL 100mbps den why u called Airtel ? :lol:[/b]

MTNL 100 Mbps 😱😱 :huh: Guys, MTNL started 100 Mbps plan :lol: now the forum will get the posts like "Airtel 100 Mbps?" & Some of the Airtel Users here, will curse the ISP for not providing 100 Mbps plan in that post :lol:... he might considered the Speed of his LAN card as the speed of his connection :lol: :lol:

got a bill of Rs.6000/- whereas I rarely used the internet. Customer care said it is based on usage. My protests did not help. I paid the bill.[/b]

[😱] [😱] [😱] u paid the bill.....WHY ????

QUOTE(waterloo_sunset @ Feb 12 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]79588[/snapback]
First of all let me assure you that the 'message' you see points to an internal lan ip conflict(most probably it's a false positive caused due to a corrupt Network config) and not Airtel assigning the same wan ip to different connections. Consider switching to an unlimited plan to avoid billing hassles.

To fix the ip conflict problem:
1. Un-install the ethernet card(it'll be under network adapters) from within Device Manager.
2. Restart your comp. Your card will be detected and installed again.

If this doesn't solve the problem, Go to Control Panel>Network and Internet Connections>Network Connections. Right click on the Local Area Connection>Properties. Choose (TCP/IP) and click on properties. In the window that opens make sure 'Obtain an ip address automatically' is checked.

Also check if DHCP is enabled in ur router settings. If the problem still persists, do an ipconfig in Command Prompt(Accessories). Report back with the info displayed.[/b]

Thank you very much Sir. I solved the problem through ipconfig. Sorry for the delay in replying.
By the way, let me also clarify this. My connection at office is MTNL and at home Airtel.
Thanks

Thanks to every for helping me. After solving the IP conflict issue, I have installed Bandwidth Monitor Pro which monitors my Upload/Download. In the display window of BM Pro it shows the Upload is about 400 MB whereas the download is shown 200 MB odd. I would like to know is there any way to stop this Upload. Or if I stop Upload would my connection fail? Shall be grateful for reply.