Introducing WatchWAN

• Thread starter Thread starter kks
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 4,989

kks

Hi friends,

First of all a big thanks for receiving DUF (Dataone Usage Finder) so well.
I am releasing one more utility which should work in tandem with DUF and help keep a better watch on your Internet usage.

I found (as would have many others, I am sure) that existing utilities like NetMeter and DU Meter are NOT accurate in reporting my usage.
Hence I coded one of my own: WatchWAN (yeah.. it is not watchman), which tries to rectify some of their shortcomings.

This is a Pre release version. I shall release the code shortly.
Kindly test it and let me know if you find it useful.

Suggestions, criticism are welcome.

Get WatchWAN from this site..

Hello ! I would like to know if there is a option to ignore data of local network ( like 192.*.*.* or whatever we specify ) If that is possible then the usage will be lot accurate bcoz many few programs are able to use it and most of du managers are hardly any accurate on sify lan´s ( also for people having private home network alongwith net and share files via netbosn or any other lan chat prog) . 🙂

Yes. There certainly is an option to keep out the unwanted traffic from calculation.
In fact the main reason for my coding WatchWAN was to have such a provision.

In the "Settings" dialogbox, there is an option to set filters.
Please read FILTER section to know more about the best filter for filtering out LAN traffic.

Since WatchWAN uses WinPcap library (which is also used by Ethereal), it supports the full set of BPF (Berkley Packet Filters). Please see TCPDump Filters for more info.

Thanks.

Hii installed ur software DUF to check usage but it always says that the 'bsnl internal structure has been changed' .otherwise if i do something else it says runtime error .help me plz kksyour watchwan software is nice and works perfect.you can combine the DuF software and the watchwan together to make easy for people to compare the usages between watchwan's and dataone's so that people would feel easy to use a multi purpose single software.🙂

Originally posted by sundar_milo@Mar 30 2006, 09:23 PM
.. DUF.. says that the 'bsnl internal structure has been changed'

Hi sundar_milo,

DUF was coded to throw this error if ever in future the HTML structure of BSNL site changed. Since that is not yet the case, the error is strange.
Which version are you using anyway? Try DUF ver 1.4.

this WatchWan utility is not working for me !
it simply not opening .
what are its requirements ? pls help .
I am using win98 SE .
I've installed watchWan & WinPcap .
---------- < edit > ----------
kks responded to my query on other community forums :

I have tested WatchWAN only on
Windows 2000 and Windows NT4 (SP6).
I really am not sure if it works on Win98. [/b]
Thanks
seshu

Hey kks sorry man ,your software (DUF ver 1.4 beta) is fine now.I didnt setup norton antivirus internet security to allow this tool to use the internet.Thats why it said those terrible things lol.first i used DUF 1.3 today and it scared the bejesus out of me ! cos there was some mixed records resulting a billing amount of rs 2300.and then i read ur post again and downloaded DUF 1.4 to check my bill.Then it made me cool ,the usage was only within the limits.i have plan 500.Thanx for ur software.And i want to say something regarding the program.i) You have given drop-down box for the year select and it had only 2005,2006.Although this is only a beta version plz take this in ur mind when coding the updated version of the software.provide a list of years from 2006 to 2099 lol.ii)you could also make the final boxed billable amount into (optional) the format used by BSNL like GU(gross usage) FU(free usage), NU(Net usage),etc., so that people would be able to understand and compare 'em with the BSNL monthly bill.iii)If possible setup a control thing so that the software would not allow the user to use internet after the limited data has been reached.also provide a checkbox for this thing to either enable or disable the feature.iv)There is a feature provided by BSNL like paying an amount of 5000(for Home 500 plan) for a whole year and enjoy 12 month rent free broadband.you must include an option for those who follow this.i think about 99 percent of the people would not go thru this but your software should support it.Anyways thx again for ur work. 🙂

Originally posted by rollcage@Apr 2 2006, 01:54 AM
Can it be used with anyother connection like mtnl or airtel...
[snapback]46705[/snapback]
[/quote]

Certainly.
I has nothing to do with the ISP you are subscribing to.

Hey, I heard some people would like to monitor only certain programs.

Check out NetLimiter 2 Monitor, it is freeware, taking about 7M RAM and is simple & powerful. Works at least with WinXP.

You have multiple zones to monitor (LOCAL, NETWORK, INTERNET) separatly
You can monitor just one program
Adjust the time period to monitor
Make statistics and import them to a XML based webpage automatically
and so on....just beautiful

But I am not sure if it takes the mentioned overhead data into account. Could someone find out...for me this is a bit over my head.

Cheers,

Martin

I can't disable WatchWan from startup, it re-spawns its entry when it's run so no matter how many times I disable it from within msconfig, it puts itself back there.