Internet speed, 2.4/5 GHz bands, router recommendation

• Thread starter Thread starter CyberPsych
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 3,778
ISP
Hyperband
I am new to broadband (only 6 months) and my local ISP (fiber internet connection of 100 Mbps) provided me with this syrotech single band router. This is the router position in my home, currently it is in the hall (on top of the TV unit) and it is almost centre to the building width.

My workplace is just behind the door you see where I have my personal PC, office laptop and my Galaxy S7 mobile phone. My sister is sitting 4 feet away from my position using her office laptop and her mobile phone. The door will be in this position always. Here is the top view layout with more info. Except for the TV, all devices will connect to WiFi.

The speed test (by Ookla app on phone, site on computers) are as below:

Standing near the router with phone in my hand - 90+ Mbps (up and down) whenever I test it.
Inside bedroom 1 - ~60 Mbps (up and down)

My questions are,

1) Will a 5Ghz router give more speed (when I connect to 5GHz at my work table) even though I am sitting in other room with 10ft distance from router?

2) If I change only my plan to 150 Mbps (confirmed with ISP that this router will support this speeds) will I get the same speed or additional 20-30 Mbps over the above tested speeds? (I am reimbursing the broadband expense from the company I work with, so this is not a issue and can't get over 150 Mbps plan)

3) I have the budget of ~₹2500, what router should I buy (if I need one) that provides strong WiFi signals, very good range, has Gigabit LAN ports, Dual band, MU-MIMO, port forwarding, etc etc modern day necessary stuff? (I have no plans for NAS/Media server kind of things, so USB port on the router is not necessary for me)

If you have multiple products to suggest, please list out the differences among them.

Thank you for the time reading this and any help is appreciated!

You can check out TP-Link Archer C64 for your needs, it would suffice for all your needs within your budget.

1) Ideally 5Ghz will give you more speed, even for 10ft, looking at your layout it would work and you would be able to get almost the full

2) You should get more speed considering you are connected to 5Ghz.

3) Archer C64

You can check out TP-Link Archer C64 for your needs, it would suffice for all your needs within your budget.

1) Ideally 5Ghz will give you more speed, even for 10ft, looking at your layout it would work and you would be able to get almost the full

2) You should get more speed considering you are connected to 5Ghz.

3) Archer C64
Thanks for the reply, will purchase A6 or C6 this Amazon Prime Day sale!

C64 does have a bit better 2.4Ghz so that is to consider if you want to, not much difference elsewise. A6 and C6 have been proven routers and I use one myself, really good tbh.

Guys how about Mi 4A router, looks like 2 LAN ports less compared to A6/C6, but what are your views, you might have heard about them than me who is new to broadband and stuff.

One benefit of A6/C6 is that it is supported by OpenWrt, endless possibilities.
The C64 has better 2.4ghz but it won't matter as most people use 5ghz mostly and 2.4 is reserved for stupid devices like bulbs and such.

It shouldn't really matter, C64 is a bit new with a bit better 2.4Ghz but pretty much the same product as A6 and C6 but smaller. A6 and C6 are old and proven devices, you can make your choice here, I would suggest A6 or C6 like others here because it has OpenWRT support along with being just a good reliable and affordable router and it also suits all your needs.