Internet speed, 2.4/5 GHz bands, router recommendation

• Thread starter Thread starter CyberPsych
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 3,777
Openwrt is like linux for your router. You can control every bit of it. Adblock, VPN and many such things on the router itself.

Not yet, but might have it later, nothing is guaranteed.

I would recommend you to get a cheap wifi 6 router like TP-Link AX1500 you'll get it for around 4k and trust me it's way better than C6. Because I have tested all these and that's why I'm here telling you. Believe me you'll regret getting AC1200 router now and those who are telling you to buy it won't be able to fix things because it's out of their hands. But all this applies only if you're getting or planning of getting in the future higher than 200 Mbps speeds. Below that AC1200 is fine.

I mean the budget allows mostly for AC1200 routers tbh, also I do think I have seen in some review that AX1500 5Ghz ain't that good or something similar, it does seem like a good entry point for Wifi 6 tho.

The thing is you'll definitely get a better processor with wifi 6 router which will definitely help in higher signal strength + good management of devices. Forget wifi 6 aspect. It's just that you'll get better hardware which will perform better on Wifi 5. And as you said your budget won't allow it then you can definitely go AC1200 way. That's good until 200 Mbps.

Does the SoC help with the signal strength or is it the antennae?

SOC helps in everything. From signal to good traffic & devices handling/management.

Never ever buy the AX1500 because it supports only normal speeds at 5ghz for not WiFi 6 devices, poor 2.4ghz and it will never support openwrt.
For entry level use, A6 or c6 will be the best choices.
I have A6, C6 and the Ax1500 currently with me now and can help you with any doubts regarding purchase.
Ax1500 may be good for use as an AP but as a router A6 C6 are better.

I would disagree with speeds not going above 200 Mbps with A6/C6. I recall there was an issue with Airtel and it was giving me 300-400mbps on a 100 Mbps plan. Offcourse this was standing in front of the router but even at a distance, 300 Mbps was easily achievable.