• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 5,530

whoru007

Human
ISP
Virgin
Hi Guys,
In next week I have to fly for London and then Berlin a month after. This will be my first ever international experience. Currently I hold HDFC Platinum Plus International Credit Card & Debit Card. So my question is will I be able to use them abroad in Hotel, Shops, etc? Also what are the changes levied by them for getting Foreign currency there from ATMs?
Also is it required to keep British Pounds/Euro? If yes from where I should be getting those exchange currency i.e. from Mumbai Airport or after landing there?

AFAIk, card issuers charge a markup on currency conversion.
IMO look for prepaid travel cards and you will find that it will be cheaper to use them instead of your INR international cards.
A word of caution: when you get refund of your left over balance in the card bank charges a conversion charge so only charge/load the card with the balance which you think that you will be able spend.
Finally an OT info: When flying out from most of the Europe you can get the VAT on your purchases back. It is not 100% but is is better than nothing 🙂

I have used ICICI bank card and Kotak bank cards both debit here in europe and it seems that there is no charge atleast on ICICI debit card supposely cause its international. However they charge your transction through ATM and currency markup is always in favour of bank .
A word of strong advice NEVER EXCHNAGE CURRENCY AT AIRPORTS unless its much emergency... the charges and exchnage rates differs vastly at airport and out of airport...
please do keep cash handy if you landing in britain first have some pounds ready.. you can exchange euros in britain for sure later on and vice versa...
get thet cash from money exchange brokey in your city or the bank...
do use a prepaid debit card in case your debit card is being charged for every transction at POS: point of sale....

You should have an international credit cart when abroad. They charge you 2-3 Rs more per Euro or $ but sometimes you cannot be without it and depending on purchase value, this is ok I think. When you try to buy foreign currency, you will have to pay a buy rate, so it kind of works out. However, if your company provides you a prepaid card, you should try and use that where possible. The places these prepaid cards don't work are when you need to use it for authorization for e.g. a 10 day hotel stay, where they block about 1000$ or a car rental for a few days/weeks, where they block some amount on your card. I use my Indian card in these scenarios and when final settlement, I use the prepaid card. You need to be careful of long stays, as Hotels charge your card on a weekly basis, so you can pay upfront from the prepaid card, but it cannot be used as an authorization. Hope this helps.

I am currently in Quedlinberg, Germany and for my Sixt rental, I had to swipe my credit card for auth. My hotel was booked by my company travel desk and they provided their credit card for the auth.
When in US, you definitely need to provide your credit card for authorization at all Hotels and car rental agencies. Some hotels refuse to take cash as advance and need a card on file for incidentals.