International Bandwidth throttling even after using Wireguard along with paid VPN

• Thread starter Thread starter iamaap
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,103
ISP
Airtel FTTH
Hello,

I live in Mumbai and use a local cablewala (CW) (Mauli Shiv Internet services; I believe they get their bandwidth from Vortex Netsol) 100 Mbps unlimited (fiber to switch) internet. My CW throttles international bandwidth to global servers as follows:
  1. American servers to 5-7 Mbps
  2. European servers 13-15 Mbps
  3. Asia to 17-25 Mbps
  4. Please note there are no high ping or packet loss on the line which I feel is good.
To get around this, I used Cloudflare's WARP unlimited (CF WP) in conjunction with Wireguard on my Windows 10 Wireguard desktop app. At first. all servers around the world, I was able to reach a top speed of around 70-75 Mbps, where I was happy. However, something happened in March, and the speed on CF WP VPN was throttled, just as it was on my connection without VPN. Now that I have the Gl-inet Brume MV1000 (link: Brume (GL-MV1000) Edge Computing Gateway | High-Performance VPN | No WiFi Module), I have configured the router with paid VPNs such as Torguard, PIA, and WeVPN (all done with the Wireguard protocol). The issue remains the same. I'm getting the same throttled speed as before. Is it possible for my ISP to throttle my international speed even after using a paid VPN. VPNs are specifically designed to bypass throttling activity performed by ISPs on international servers in order to save bandwidth costs. Even with a VPN, however, I am unable to bypass.

Please assist @Anurag Bhatia and @JB701 all others request you to please help me.

Thanks and regards

Last edited:
Most VPN Servers go through transit instead of peering. So if the ISP has poor speeds to VPN Servers, you are going to get bad speeds unfortunately.

What is your traceroute to engage.cloudflareclient.com ?

@JB701 . Thanks for your reply. the traceroute is as follows:

C:\Users\IAMAAP-PC>tracert engage.cloudflareclient.com

Tracing route to engage.cloudflareclient.com [162.159.192.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Bhak [192.168.1.1]
2 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms GL-MV1000 [192.168.8.1]
3 GL-MV1000 [192.168.8.1] reports: Destination protocol unreachable.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\IAMAAP-PC>tracert in.privateinternetaccess.com

Tracing route to in.privateinternetaccess.com [104.16.42.63]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Bhak [192.168.1.1]
2 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms GL-MV1000 [192.168.8.1]
3 3 ms 2 ms 2 ms 104.16.42.63

Trace complete.

Also do note that I am completely on wired network and dont use wifi

With VPN you are only connecting to indian servers right?

If still you are not getting speed it means your ISP is overselling and don't hve much non peered bandwidth.

If still you are not getting speed it means your ISP is overselling and don't hve much non peered bandwidth.
Yes. I always indian servers to avoid latency.

However, in the initial days of using WARP+ I was able to max on all the servers worldwide. and now when I use any VPN, still same as non VPN.