Intermittently slow browsing and connecting speed in Reliance Jio

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaman2011
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 14,495
Reliance Jio is now taking ages to open, upload, download, stream videos or do anything at all. And I can now see a lot of negative reviews especially of new welcome offer guys in my Facebook timeline and everybody is mentioning that it is now even difficult to browse and open websites.

Jio has some extremely serious problems in their routing and browsing speeds and this is resulting in extreme negative reviews for them nowadays. Most of my friends who have taken up Jio recently (not the LYF phone buyers like us but normal guys who went with preview offer to test out the SIMs) are now saying that Jio's 4G network browsing speed is like 2G speeds of other networks. And I can continuously see the complaints pouring in my Facebook feeds of various friends and relatives nowadays. I had told about the routing issues nearly a month ago when I made this thread but it seems nobody checks feedback in Jio. Their terrible network and routing issues have now made their network similar to 2G in spite of being a 4G network. If the routing and network issues remain like this, I doubt any of the welcome offer would shift to Jio in the long term. A 20 Mbps connection does not make any difference if the real world browsing and normal internet stuff is like 500 Kbps.

Hope somebody is listening in Jio and they fix these routing issues at least in the FTTH lines if not the 4G lines. I am more interested in their broadband/FTTH connection and hope they fix all their network issues before that launch. Jio 4G is now a lost cause in the current form.

This would continue to be like this till 31st Dec,you have to realize that the amount of freeloading is insane...
Things would start to stabilize when people would have to pay for what they are using right now..Besides it's not like you are paying anything..so complaining isn't right IMO :/

@volcano619 If you check this thread, it was created around a month ago when there were no free preview customers but only a handful of LYF phone users. The slow browsing speed, Youtube streaming problems etc. have been since the start i.e. since the last 4 months since I took up the network. The speedtest speed is still decent. I did a speedtest right now and it is still showing 12 Mbps download and 6 Mbps upload speed. So, their speed or amount of freeloading is not an issue. If it was an issue, the speedtest speeds would have been very low.

But I am saying about real world performance such as browsing which are taking ages. It was bad from the start but now it is terrible. Even broadbandforum.co is not opening for me at the first instance on many cases. Overall, the internet browsing is behaving like a dial up or slightly higher connection (at best performance is similar to a 512 kbps connection). The download speeds are still relatively decent. So, it seems some issue with their routing and network issues and not related to the free welcome offer. Overall, there are some problems with the Jio network. It is good for downloading large files or maybe even torrents but for other real world performance such as browsing even small sites, the performance is incredibly terrible.

This is a genuine feedback hoping that they would fix the issues before launching of their properly. I am more interested in their FTTH plans and waiting for them. I hope this same pattern of terrible browsing and real world performance does not continue with their FTTH lines. Even my 1Mbps BSNL broadband lines provide a lot better connectivity and overall performance when it is stable (my BSNL is never stable where I give credit to Jio) compared to the Jio connection.

@kirti07 As mentioned earlier, I am saying about real world performance. The speedtest speeds are still good and the downloading speeds are also good in some cases. But the real world performance of the network is like a dial up connection. As for its performance in July or June, it was not that great either for the speeds. Downloading was always good but real world performance has always taken a hit since the start. There seems to be some issues in the network rather than the freebies. If it was for the freebies, real world performance should not take a hit as even a couple of Mbps is enough have good real world performance. In this case, Jio has speedtest results of 12 Mbps yet finds difficult in browsing and opening websites properly. Those things work fine even on a basic 1 Mbps or lower connection.

A month ago,i had 2 SIMs and my friend had 5 for free just by visiting the store...things were still the same a month ago..
The only time it used to be good was like 3-4 months back when it was closed beta ,people who had bought LYF phones
Anyways right now what you have is a free service being offered on a PAN India basis,im surprised to even see something like this being offered and it's been holding up fairly decent..
And even for the intermittent issues before,we knew what we were getting ourselves into,anything Beta is going to have some issues..
I'm not criticizing your opinion,but saying Jio sucks for a service being offered for free is a bit too much..

@volcano619 I have never mentioned that Jio sucks. I always give credit where its due. I highly appreciate them for at least giving some decent competition (my own ISP BSNL has brought plans I had never imagined previously only for the launch of Jio).

But the fact remains that there are some serious problems with the network especially for browsing and other stuff. Even at the start, the network is not smooth and it is not anywhere near smooth even today. So, the issue with slow browsing, streaming etc. remains. Those are basic stuff for which even a 1 Mbps connection works fine. For opening up websites, it does not need to be super fast (which Jio actually is in speedtest results). Beta means that all issues are not fixed and it does not seem to be fixed yet. The real world performance is still lacking a lot. And this comes from someone who hates other ISPs especially BSNL. But the browsing speed and real world speed of even a 512 kbps BSNL connection (which used to be present in the past) is perhaps better than Jio right now. I am very interested in Jio especially FTTH and hope that they would fix these issues before commercial launch (I mean when paid customers start).

For FTTH, I do not even need free beta offers but I can take it directly as a paid customer if they provide a good stable connection and network without the browsing issues and real world performance. At the end of the day, I have always been waiting for Jio in the hope of a decent real world provider for daily broadband needs as we do not have any competitor to BSNL here in Assam. And I have been extremely happy that they came as BSNL brought good plans for the first time in the last 10 years since I have been a customer with them. The problem with BSNL is reliability and stability (their lines and customer service are pathetic to be honest) but they are decent in real world performance. On the other hand, the problem with Jio is the real world performance and browsing speed (reliability and stability of the connection is far better than BSNL).

NOTE: This is a genuine feedback and it is not a complaint. I congratulate and thank Jio for their preview offer which I have utilized fully especially for downloading in the past. Overall it has been satisfactory experience (I would not call it free as I paid Rs.6800 for the phone which I would probably never use) but there are some serious issues with the network especially browsing and streaming and I would stick with the same. Speeds are good especially in downloading and speedtest and I have no issues with that at all but I am referring to real world browsing performance etc. mainly which has got serious issues.

Last edited:
@volcano619

But I am saying about real world performance such as browsing which are taking ages. It was bad from the start but now it is terrible. Even broadbandforum.co is not opening for me at the first instance on many cases. Overall, the internet browsing is behaving like a dial up or slightly higher connection (at best performance is similar to a 512 kbps connection). The download speeds are still relatively decent. So, it seems some issue with their routing and network issues and not related to the free welcome offer. Overall, there are some problems with the Jio network. It is good for downloading large files or maybe even torrents but for other real world performance such as browsing even small sites, the performance is incredibly terrible.

This is a genuine feedback hoping that they would fix the issues before launching of their properly. I am more interested in their FTTH plans and waiting for them. I hope this same pattern of terrible browsing and real world performance does not continue with their FTTH lines. Even my 1Mbps BSNL broadband lines provide a lot better connectivity and overall performance when it is stable (my BSNL is never stable where I give credit to Jio) compared to the Jio connection.

Couldn't agree more. I too feel the problem is not because of free loading but routing issues. I have been using jio for the last one month and the browsing speed has been bad from day one. The web pages have problems loading completely, even though I am getting speedtest results of 15 mbps. Sometimes even google's homepage doesn't load completely. Beat that. Some serious problems they have to rectify.

Things have only gotten worse after the official launch. Now most websites don't load at the first try. I Hope their ftth will be better..

@volcano619 It is not entirely free. Atleast not for the one's who bought the lyf phones. Do you think anyone would buy them if not for the unlimited offer? I don't mind that they now have a 4gb/day fup but expecting a decent browsing experience is not asking for too much. If the free preview offer was supposed to show how reliable their network is, they are not doing a very good job at it.

Last edited:
For the last few days my JiofI2 gets latched on to band5 no matter what I do its not attaching to band 40. This is the first time its happening since the day I bought its always been on band40. My download speeds are reduced to 700kbps.

So jiofi users too are facing jio fup music.
I was planning to get one.
Now I won't.

For the last few days my JiofI2 gets latched on to band5 no matter what I do its not attaching to band 40. This is the first time its happening since the day I bought its always been on band40. My download speeds are reduced to 700kbps.
So

It's not FUP,if you have any network problems then you may be switched to different bands..
2300Mhz-upto 50-60Mbps
1800Mhz-upto 25-40Mbps
850Mhz-upto 15Mbps
Don't worry it might be temporary,i used to face these kinda issues for a day or two..