Intending to switch to Jio Fiber from Hathway

• Thread starter Thread starter hallow2087
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,281
ISP
Present ISP: Hathway
Past ISPs: Airtel, Jio, Alliance, BSNL (copper)
I am a Hathway fibre user for nearly a year. My plan is 50 mbps down 25 mbps up at Rs. 708 PM (after taxes). The connection was fine till last month. But lately there's routing issues (websites opening late, connection not snappy enough, need to keep rebooting router etc), high and inconsistent latency (I'm a gamer) and the worst part, even the stability has degraded (there's now outage for a min or two, happenes several times a day!). Considering all these I've decided to move to Jio Fiber.

I'm guessing they will be better than Hathway? In terms of stability, latency and speed? I've heard few negatives about them like CG-NAT (that i won't be able to host anything) but I've no clue how it's going to affect my usage (can I create a game server to which others can join or that's a no go?); Also, that Jio uses deep packet inspection (DPI) and a lot of websites are blocked, but it's the same with Hathway, I've to use GoodbyeDPI to access the blocked sites

So anything which may bother me if I make the switch?

You can go with JioFiber. Try Airtel first if its feasible in your area

LCO model should not affect much. You can say LCO just maintains the cable. Airtel pretty much has everything in their control regarding the backend. So you should get good service assuming the Airtel officials in your area are nice. Also , when Games are hosted , its not smooth on JioFiber with CG-NAT. Airtel at least might give you public IPv6 which is much better than the CG-NAT situation.

Last edited:
Doesn't Hathway use the same backend as Jio?

LCO model should not affect much. You can say LCO just maintains the cable. Airtel pretty much has everything in their control regarding the backend. So you should get good service assuming the Airtel officials in your area are nice. Also , when Games are hosted , its not smooth on JioFiber with CG-NAT. Airtel at least might give you public IPv6 which is much better than the CG-NAT situation.
Thanks. I wanted to take the airtel connection but I haven't been able to collect any feedback from the users, nobody is interested to run a few pings for me. Another thing which is annoying, that airtel themselves do not acknowledge this LCO type connections. Emailed their Nodal several times, but always got reply that due to technical reasons connection is not feasible in my area. When I ask them that there are many connections being provided by LCOs in my area they simply dodge the matter. This hide and seek type attitude is very worrying.

Jio is at least forthcoming with their connections.

@tatyasky How to check whether my Hathway connection is CG-NAT or otherwise? Please inform.

Airtel is great all over the india excluding Bihar. Get airtel, pings are good and kolkata guys have their own gateway, so very low pings to most of indian servers. Pings are constant in airtel and in jio, it fluctuates, my connection is LCO model only but LCO plays role in coming and installing the router at your place, thats it, they repair and maintain the fiber cables. Airtel doesnt pick up illiterate LCO, mostly they know things they are doing. I never had any issues with LCO model, using it since last 1 year now, 3-4 downtimes due to fiber cut and that too got resolved at the time of cut(3am at night).

@tatyasky Thanks. My public IP shown is 115.96.XX.XXX and if I login to my Netgear router (192.168.1.1), click on Advanced tab, then under Internet Port there's an IP address mentioned and that's the same as my public IP. So I do not have CGN I guess. However, I have no clue how to login to the Hathway provided ZTE modem if you meant that.

@nishantt6969 I just chatted with the airtel LCO (there's many of them anyway, I just picked one) and he says the installation change is waived for now (it was 1500 before) and I can actually use the connection for free for 30 days. So I will be taking it early next month and test everything thoroughly myself.

Last edited: