Installing Whatsapp on Nexus 7 (wifi-only)

dextermorgan

I got banned!
ISP
Beam Fiber
I need Whatsapp on my wifi only nexus 7(non rooted). There are many threads and methods in XDA forum and I wanted to see if anybody had any success with them.
Some of those methods require rooting of tab which I haven't done so.

I haven't installed it on Nexus 7 but did on Galaxy Tab (don't remember exact model but it was WiFi only) for friend. It was pretty straightforward. Allow installation of APK from third party sources by going in settings. Download whatsapp APK via any other device, transfer it to device you want and install there. As the concerned device lacks GSM support, whatsapp can not verify your number via SMS. Once it fails, whatsapp will ask you to verify your account via phone call or sending SMS and then manually entering that code and you are done! I am not sure if it works on Nexus 7 but you can try.

When i am not on SMS plan and have working WIFI near me. And at that time i have to activate whatsapp this is the method i use. Turn on airplane mode. Connect to WIFI. Try activating whatsapp. First it will try to send a SMS but it will fail after sometime. It will give you option to send SMS again or get call for verification call.

Well I had installed WhatsApp on my ICS tablet easily (some months back though). I guess the WhatsApp devs have now added the device check. Well taking a wild guess here, editing build.prop (to change the DPI which is more likely to be of a phone, something in excess of 250) shall hopefully do it for you.
Oops, sorry. Didn't read that you don't have root access. So the build.prop thing won't work either. Sorry!
Try this. Search the web and somehow get the APK of any of the older versions of WhatsApp and try it out. I guess they have added this 'tablet check' in the recent versions. Surely didn't exist some months ago.

Could be the reason. I remember installing the version which had old UI. Prior to version 2.9.xxxx