Installing Linux on Windows 8 PCs: No easy answers

shashank983

Regular
ISP
RELIANCE broadband
Installing Linux on Windows 8 PCs: No easy answers
no dual boot things on win8 computer

Here's Microsoft's plan: Every new PC sold with Windows 8 will be locked up tight with Microsoft's UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) secure boot on. Microsoft says that this is to help secure your PCs from rootkits and malware. It also happens to stop you from easily installing Linux or any other operating system, such as Windows 7 or XP, on a Windows 8 system. Thanks Microsoft. We really needed that kind of protection???

Read more: Installing Linux on Windows 8 PCs: No easy answers - PC Advisor

James Bottomley, Parallels' CTO of server virtualization, well-known Linux kernel maintainer, and the man behind the Linux Foundation's efforts to create an easy way to install and boot Linux on Windows 8 PCs with UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) Secure Boot enabled is sorry to report that "We’re still waiting for Microsoft to give the Linux Foundation a validly signed pre-bootloader."

http://www.zdnet.com/linux-foundation-uefi-secure-boot-key-for-windows-8-pcs-delays-explained-7000007841/

Who cares!!Format everything. Install linux. Install virtualbox. Install windows 8.All problems solved.Or do reverse if u plan to use windows more. Install windows. Install virtualbox. Install linux.

Yes, for most applications. Unless u r using both at the same time.i.e. u r running application in windows as well and in linux as well.Best is to select your primary OS properly. i.e. if u run heavy apps in windows then run linux inside virtualbox. and vice versa.

disable secureboot. tianocore is such a pain. errrrm i mean uefi. thanks to UEFI for their BS-EFI, extended drawback. looks like instead of simplyfying? they wish to complicate things more. i dont hate M$ nor airtel or Intel its just their business practice. which pisses me off to core.
-paul
they said secureboot is like drop in replacement for tpm, and it does help prevent loading unsigned exec. so lets say you need to install drivers which is not signed then what do you do? dont use the device? or pay 1000's of US$ and get a verisign signed cert since self signed are not accepted. and whats the warranty that the kernel which was used is itself not rootkitted? there is no warranty/guarantee. die suckers!