Installing AdGuard Home on PFSense

Today I will show how to install AdGuard Home on PFSense. While I haven’t tested this on OPNSense. The binary for FreeBSD (PFSense) may work on HardendBSD (OPNSense).

Why use AdGuard Home?​

Screenshot-2020-10-13-102928.png

• Pretty UI: While PFBlockerNG can do DNS Blocking, it has a much more complex UI.
  • AdGuard Home UI is easier to use
  • Built in Encrypted DNS: AdGuard Home supports build in encrypted DNS (DNS over TLS, DNS over HTTPS).
  • Different methods of querying: AdGuard Home supports Parallel Querying where multiple servers are queried at once. This is especially good if you have a unreliable network.
  • FreeBSD Support: AdGuard Home supports FreeBSD so you won’t have to virtualize anything.
  • Modify DNS TTL to keep DNS Records in cache for longer.
Screenshot-2020-10-13-103046.png

Step 1: Change the Port of your PFSense DNS Resolver​

1.png

2.png

Login to your PFSense Firewall web UI and go to Service> DNS Resolver and change the "Listen Port" from port 53 to some other port, I chose 6666. Set Network Interfaces to localhost, there is no need for the pfsense resolver to listen on LAN interface.

To enable rDNS lookups and hostname lookups for devices on your LAN, enable " DHCP Registration" and " Static DHCP" in DNS Resolver settings.

Step 2: Go to AdGuard home releases page and get the FreeBSD Version:​

adguardreleases.png

Go to Releases · AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome

Then get the latest version of AdGuard for FreeBSD (as PFSense runs on FreeBSD). Most likely you will have 64Bit version of PFSense so you need AdGuardHome_freebsd_amd64.tar.gz . However if you have 32 Bit PFSense you need AdGuardHome_freebsd_386.tar.gz.

Step 3: SSH into your PFSense box​

Right click and copy the link of the release.

SSH into your PFSense box using Putty or SSH on WSL and enter the following commands:

Code:
cd /
mkdir opt
cd opt
fetch https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/releases/download/v0.104.0-beta2/AdGuardHome_freebsd_amd64.tar.gz

Make sure to change the url in fetch to the one you got on Step 2 to get latest version.
Code:
tar -xvf AdGuardHome_freebsd_amd64.tar.gz
cd AdGuardHome
./AdGuardHome

This command executes AdGuardHome so that we can do initial configuration in the browser.

Step 4: Initial Configuration​

Screenshot-2020-10-13-113123.png

Go to your router URL with port 3000 on your browser. In my case its http://192.168.5.1:3000 . Replace 192.168.5.1 to your PFSense Address.

It should open the web interface of AdGuard Home.

Click on Get Started.

Now you will see a screen asking to setup interfaces for AdGuard UI and Resolver to run on. You need to set both the Admin Interface and DNS Server Interface to your LAN Interface. In my case it is igb3. It will also show the IP of the Interface next to it to help you identify easily. In my case it is 192.168.5.1 which is the IP Address of my router.
Screenshot-2021-01-07-134022.png

Set the same interface for DNS Server.

Also, make sure to change the Port of web interface from 80 to something that is unlikely to be used on the network. Lets say port 12838. Choose any high port that isn’t likely to conflict with your other applications.

Next enter a username and password for your AdGuard Home. Make sure to use a strong password.

Click on Next and then Open Dashboard.

Now that initial configuration of AdGuard is done. Go back to PFSense SSH and terminate AdGuard using Ctrl+C.

Step 5: Installing some extra packages:​

To make sure that AdGuard gets filters without errors, you will need to install ca_root_nss

Run this command on the PFSense SSH
Code:
pkg install ca_root_nss

Next you will need to install screen so that you can run AdGuard even when ssh is closed.

Code:
pkg install screen

Lets also install nano text editor so we can write and edit simple text files.

Code:
pkg install nano

Install shellcmd PFSense Package from WebUI. Its under System>Package Manager>Installed Packages:
Screenshot-2020-11-14-103402.png

Step 6: Making AdGuard Home start on boot:​

Go to Services>shellcmd and click Add

Command: /usr/local/bin/screen -S AdGuardHome_screen -d -m /opt/AdGuardHome/AdGuardHome
Shellcmd Type: shellcmd
Description: AdGuard

Screenshot-2020-11-14-104100.png

Click Save
Reboot PFSense and AdGuardHome will start up.

Step 7: Set Filters and DNS Resolvers for AdGuard Home:​

Go to the Web UI of AdGuard Home. It is at http://192.168.5.1:12838 . Where 192.168.5.1 is the IP of your PFSense and 12838 is the Port of Web Interface of AdGuard which we set in Step 4.

Login with your username and password which you set in Step 4.

Now go to Settings>DNS Settings

Use the upstream DNS Server of your choice. These are my resolvers

Code:
https://dns10.quad9.net/dns-query
tls://dns.google
tls://1.1.1.1
https://doh.opendns.com/dns-query
Screenshot-2020-10-13-120812.png

Find more Encrypted DNS Resolvers at DNS Privacy Public Resolvers - DNS Privacy Project - Global Site

Set the query mode to “Parralel Requests” for faster queries.

By default AdGuard Home only uses “AdGuard DNS filter” however you can add your own filters such as

https://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts

and enable the filters Disabled by default.

However, keep in mind, higher the number of domains higher the likelihood of false positives.

Step 8: Set PFSense to use the AdGuard DNS:​

Go to System> General Setup in PFSense Web Interface and set the DNS Server to 192.168.5.1 and remove any other resolvers.
Screenshot-2020-10-13-121135.png

That’s it AdGuard Home is up and running on PFSense

Step 9: Test AdGuard​

Go to your PFSense SSH and type in:

Code:
dig @192.168.5.1 google.com

Where 192.168.5.1 is the IP of your router

It should output the IP Address of Google.
dig @192.168.5.1 google.com

; <<>> DiG 9.16.1-Ubuntu <<>> @192.168.5.1 google.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 946
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;google.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
google.com. 10 IN A 74.125.130.147

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.5.1#53(192.168.5.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Jan 07 16:34:08 IST 2021
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 44

On Windows you can do

Code:
nslookup google.com 192.168.5.1

to test the resolver

Last edited:
Try setting Redirect Target IP as 192.168.x.x (your LAN IP).

Edit: I see why this is the case, when you set port forward to PFSense DNS Resolver, the resolver then queries the DNS Servers under General Setup (which is done by PFSense itself hence it shows 127.0.0.1 localhost).

Last edited:
Under PFSense DNS Resolver,

Try enabling DHCP Registration and Static DHCP.

Disable the port forward rule.

Set Private reverse DNS servers in AdGuard Home to 127.0.0.1:1053 (you mentioned this earlier).

See if the captive portal works then

still not working.. i just then disabled captive portal in pfsense... have to find a way to distribute internet via wifi in my network. Thanks.

On pfSense 2.6.0 amd64

However, AdGuard is not starting, or functioning with /usr/local/bin/screen -S AdGuardHome_screen -d -m /opt/AdGuardHome/AdGuardHome on a reboot; nor I can start the application with opt/AdGuardHome/AdGuardHome either I do get command is not found, or permission denied even running with su - root.

I cannot tell if AdGuard is active at least via the web-portal.
How can I find AdGuard server address via SSH ? Thus to give the server a static IP with pfSense

By the way, there is a typp here:

cd /
mkdir opt
cd opt
fetch https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGu....104.0-beta2/AdGuardHome_freebsd_amd64.tar.gz

need to
cd /opt

Thank you for your great help, I did enjoy experimenting with this, and I am sure I am lacking some details to make AdGuard starting.

/opt/AdGuardHome/AdGuardHome

should run it, i think your install might be corrupted. adguard server is bound to interface you set up during config. for example you can have it bind to lan interface and itll be active on that. to check if adguard is working you can the dig command.

did you run

chmod +x /opt/AdGuardHome/AdGuardHome

by default binaries are not executable

cd opt should work if your current directory is /, /opt is the absolute path yes.

can someone help with adguardhome openwrt installation?