• Thread starter Thread starter sudeep333
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 3,397

sudeep333

ISP
MTNL
hello everyone,
i am very dissapointed with the MTNL call center service. i called them around 25 times and no response from there.

i need your help.
i need to install a FTP Server on my computer and i am using MTNL Broadband unlimited.

IP they provide me : 192.168.1.5

when i send them an email about static ip configuration then they supplied me only this ip 59.176.xx.xx and no other information.

i have installed an FTP server and that shows me that server is running at ftp://192.168.1.5/
local accessing of ok but how to access this with my static IP....
i mean how to configure my settings so that i can access this Server at ftp://59.176.xx.xx

Please help me out.

@sudeep333
Welcome to Broadbandforum.in.
You don't have a static IP.
It is Dynamic IP and will/may change every
time you disconnect and reconnect.
Check out Free Product Demo | IP2Location?
http://filezilla-project.org/images/screenshots/fz3_linux_netconfwizard.png

Reference:FileZilla - The free FTP solution

yes!! Static IP is available for few extra bucks!!.,..ring the dumb asses( customer care) again and ask them the into abt static ip.

i guess he already is getting a static ip since he is on unlimited plan.

Hmm, does unlimited plan come wid static ip??😕..am also on unlimited plan and am in dynamic ip.

hehhe.... @sudeep333, u called CC for installing FTP... I'm damn sure they might never have even heard about FTP...

you need to open ports on your router for ftp to work from the internet.. go to your modem's config page(192.168.1.1. username and password is admin).. look for an option called Virtual Server.. and add a new port.. add ports 20 and 21... and forward them to 192.168.1.5(which is your computer's ip address).. Also make sure you have opened the ports in your software firewall in your computer...then you can access your ftp server from outside by typing ftp://59.176.xx.xx where 59.176.xx.xx is your external ip provided by bsnl...you cannot use 192.168.1.5 to access your ftp server from the internet...this is your local ip address.
now 59.176.xx.xx will keep changing as it is dynamic ip address.. if you dont want to shell out money to get a static ip you can use a service called no-ip No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP .. they have a no-ip free service where you will be given a free domain like yourname.sytes.net or whatever.. and you can use this address to access your ftp server any time!!

hehhe.... @sudeep333, u called CC for installing FTP... I'm damn sure they might never have even heard about FTP...

FTP for Indian Cust Care = Faltoo Tele Phone 😛

You just say FTP and they'll say lemme transfer you to our phone dept for a spare phone set.:hysterical: