Initial Opinion on ACT Broadbannd

• Thread starter Thread starter mohankrajan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 3,241

mohankrajan

ISP
ACT
Hi,I first saw the Ad in mid January 2012. Called up ACT and was informed that there is no feasibility in my Apartment area. Went with BSNL. After 3 weeks, the Sales Person of ACT BB calls and informs me that there is now feasibility at my premises. So full marks on followup by their sales/marketing team.Now I am informed that I need to pay installation charges and first month's charges in advance and I did so. I was promised that the Box would be placed on my apartment Roof and copper would be fed to my apartment from the box.After nearly 6 days, the installation was done but with the difference that no box was installed on my terrace. Instead, the box was fixed accross the road at the back of my apartment accross an empty plot at a height of some 40 feet from the ground.Result is that installation is not FTTH as promised but FTTK and also I am dependednt on connectivity by the person providing power to the box accross the road.That said, I am experiencing the promised speeds consistently over the week I have been using ACT BB.Frankly, I am prepared to trust ACT when bigger players like Airtel, BSNL, TATA INDICOMM and Reliance have started taking customers for a ride.So far, I am pretty happy with ACT BB and I have asked ACT to explain why a box was not installed at my terrace and will post their response once I have it.Thank you.

Just a small correction: they weren't promising FTTH (they'd have had to give you a special modem for that), but FTTB. You are still getting FTTB, just not to your B(uilding). So long as the copper cable length is under 90m, it's all the same.FTTK is different again and this terminology applies more to ADSL-style internet (like what BSNL gives) than what you have.

Even I'm having a good time choosing ACT... I download 700Mb files in like 10mins. 🙂

----------

Wondering whether to go in for the annual plan and get 25GB FUP extra per month + 2 months free.
Only thing is these guys are small in terms of coverage and operation and new. So dont want to put in too much money upfront.
That way, if I find the service falling, I just disconnect and cancel without losing any money other than the current month's rental.

----------

Wondering whether to go in for the annual plan and get 25GB FUP extra per month + 2 months free.
Only thing is these guys are small in terms of coverage and operation and new. So dont want to put in too much money upfront.
That way, if I find the service falling, I just disconnect and cancel without losing any money other than the current month's rental.

I've taken the annual subscription... YES it is a NEW company... but I assumed Airtel would have probably offered funding them JUST to sell the SAME thing with Airtel Brand Name, and easily charged 3-4 times the current price. Moreover, some inefficiencies are inevitable because companies too, afterall, are made of humans... If we as consumers support and encourage them for their Excellent product then as time passes and they start earning, their service will turn more professional...

Disclaimer : I'm just another customer of ACT... I'm not connected to ACT Broadband in any other way whatsoever.

Little correction: ACT is a 12-year old company with some 60Cr authorized capital, and were funded by IVFA quite some time ago. They also own part of Beam in Hyderabad. They're a little new to the broadband scene but they've been providing TV services in the region for ages. Airtel's investment processes are too strict for most companies to want to bother - Airtel would give only the book rates (I.E. 60Cr) but the actual company value is often much higher (taking in to account subscribers, recurring revenues, cablewala deals etc...) So if anyone was going to invest, I'd say one of the Reliance' companies would do it. They ask a lot less questions 🙂

Little correction: ACT is a 12-year old company with some 60Cr authorized capital, and were funded by IVFA quite some time ago. They also own part of Beam in Hyderabad. They're a little new to the broadband scene but they've been providing TV services in the region for ages.

Airtel's investment processes are too strict for most companies to want to bother - Airtel would give only the book rates (I.E. 60Cr) but the actual company value is often much higher (taking in to account subscribers, recurring revenues, cablewala deals etc...) So if anyone was going to invest, I'd say one of the Reliance' companies would do it. They ask a lot less questions 🙂

I meant Airtel or the likes... including Reliance / Aircel / MTS whatever... all these big companies could invest in ACT...

I meant Airtel or the likes... including Reliance / Aircel / MTS whatever... all these big companies could invest in ACT...

There's a little thing called conflict of interest which would either prevent such deals or make it not worthwhile for one or both companies.

Shyam Telecom (owner of MTS) also owns Spectranet.
Reliance has RCOM and RIL respectively now (RIL is going around Mumbai and trying to buy up cable operators but not ISPs AFAIK).
Aircel *might* be a good candidate.
Zee Networks might also be a good candidate and a couple of other companies like this.

ACT isn't currently running short of money AFAIK, so it's probably not looking for additional investment right now...

There's a little thing called conflict of interest which would either prevent such deals or make it not worthwhile for one or both companies.

Shyam Telecom (owner of MTS) also owns Spectranet.
Reliance has RCOM and RIL respectively now (RIL is going around Mumbai and trying to buy up cable operators but not ISPs AFAIK).
Aircel *might* be a good candidate.
Zee Networks might also be a good candidate and a couple of other companies like this.

ACT isn't currently running short of money AFAIK, so it's probably not looking for additional investment right now...

hmm Ohkayy.... Thanks for explaining... just noticed you're the Founder of Hayai Broadband.

hmm Ohkayy.... Thanks for explaining... just noticed you're the Founder of Hayai Broadband.

Which isn't really relevant, I think - just trying to share some of what I know (in this case, who owns who, what and where) with you guys 🙂

Thanks! Also... does Hayai plan to come to Bangalore...?
hayai first launch will be in mumbai n then expand to all cities

hayai first launch will be in mumbai n then expand to all cities

Ohkayy... hmm... Then can we say that by next year atleast they'll be looking to expand to Bangalore...