Info on Torrents

• Thread starter Thread starter uthfull
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 5,285
definately share ratio is important so that bt survives & doesnt become like other p2p's.Obviously if ur downloading from a public tracker u wont care much about the ratio ,but from a private tracker than u have to maintain the ratio otherwise you might get banned or have to wait for few hrs to download the 0 day torrents.And as we have dynamic ip's sometimes might affect the ratio but if we close the client properly it wont affect the correct ratio is passed to the tracker,

One more thing, if I change my torrent client or for that matter my ISP, will the tracker still recognize me ?P.S. What is 0day??

If you are using a private tracker.. the answer is NO (changing ISP's) and YES if the other client can recognize the partly d/loaded files by the previous clients, but then your ratio might get borked.. best to ask the operators of that tracker before changing. 0 day means same day (nearly same day and fresh) releases (will not go into too much details of what same day means), but the file you're d/loading is available in these `0 day sites' much earlier (remember even 24 hours is a great deal where the internet is concernet) that at the general sites 😉

Well. Someone always starts a fresh torrent with a public tracker whenever a new release is out with a private one...so doesn't matter. I cap my uploads coz whenvah i do at full speed, my d/l speed crashes....i dunno y..so mine doesn't exceed 0.2-0.3 ever. But i do seed when there is some poorly seeded torrent. So i do my bit 😛

Funny I've started using µTorrent.... n I think its a very nice client (think its got a mind of its own!!).I left the Upload and Download speed to unlimited..... n look what I got for a 1.5GB file......... a .7 share ratio.... not bad!!

utorrent is best... it is simple and no config problems....

I've half downloaded a file from one client (bitlord) can I use another client and resume the file from where I left it?

Yes if it has no special extensions for partly downloaded files. Like BitComet puts a Jc! or something at the end of the names of the files. Remove them and use (there is an option in BitComet to avoid putting these extensions too). However migrating from most of the clients to Azureus might give problems 🙂Utorrent arrives as a very small download. Have not tested the same as yet, but from whatever reviews I've read, 60% were positive and 40% negative

okie i am still a bit confused here. the ip's keep changing so if i need to ensure that the ratio gets updated properly i need to login to that site so that my IP is updated and then start downloading/uploading the file.Is that right ? Do i nee to do this everytime? How can i know if the site follows the "passkey" system ?

Yah most of the site you have to login everytime before you start downloading or uploading otherwise you will get an error "Unregistered user". Be sure to close your client properly so that the tracker realizes it & updates the share ratio.

Originally posted by sabman@Oct 15 2005, 12:38 PM
okie i am still a bit confused here. the ip's keep changing so if i need to ensure that the ratio gets updated properly i need to login to that site so that my IP is updated and then start downloading/uploading the file.

Is that right ? Do i nee to do this everytime?

How can i know if the site follows the "passkey"  system ?
[snapback]28699[/snapback]
[/quote]

Follow this procedure.. download the torrent, do not disconnect, d/load even a few kbs or mbs. Now if you disconnect and reconnect, you do not have to login into their site as long as you are logging in from the same ISP (not to be confused with ip). The tracker recognizes the ip it was connected with initially and continues from where it was left off. Check the FAQ's of the site. Try to view the torrent file with notepad to know more about the passkey (sorry cannot reveal more)