• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 1,104

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/team-india-test-odi-series-australia-world-cup/1/368110.html
Defending champions India will get an early feel of the Australian conditions ahead of next year's ODI World Cup after agreeing to play a Test series against the hosts and a triangular one-day series, also featuring England, between December 4 and February 1 here.
The World Cup will roll out from February 14 and conclude on March 29.

Test series:
December 4-8: 1st Test Australia v India - Brisbane
December 12-16: 2nd Test Australia v India - Adelaide
December 26-30: 3rd Test Australia v India - Melbourne
January 3-7: 4th Test Australia v India - Sydney
ODI tri-series:
January 16: Australia v India - Melbourne
January 18: Australia v England - Sydney
January 20: England v India - Brisbane
January 23: Australia v England - Hobart
January 26: Australia v India - Sydney
January 30: England v India - Perth
February 1: Final - Perth.

India also played a series in Australia the last time the world cup was played there in the 1991-92 season. It was a long and gloomy summer for India.
Only two people shone brightly during that tour and the subsequent World Cup.
1. India's greatest cricketer Kapil Dev took 25 wickets in the 5 test series and became only the 2nd bowler to cross 400 test wickets. I remember bursting firecrackers outside my home when he claimed the 400th wicket. IRRC, Mark Taylor got out LBW.
2. A tiny little player called Sachin Tendulkar emerged on the world scene.
This year, India will likely reach AU around November 20 as the first of the two warm up games will start on November 24 and stay there till the end of March hopefully. ;-)

I remember 1991-92 tour because it was during same time we got TV at home, and I started watching/following Cricket. That was also first time when I came to knew about Sachin Tendulkar 😀

We had TV at our home a lot earlier but satellite TV (Prime Sports) came to Chennai only before the start of that world cup.
I listened to the radio commentary and watched the highlights of the test series in the night on DD! I think the triangular series (IN, AU, WI) was live on DD, at least the matches played by India.
I knew about Sachin even when he made his debut for Mumbai. "The Hindu" news paper ran stories about him all the time. I hated the hype. But, I realized his genius only when I watched him play in Australia, although I remember watching the 4 sixes he hit off Abdul Qadir in an OD exhibition match.

I hope India doesnt have the disaster WC which normally happens to the team touring before the WC. Like Pak in 2003 (SA).. There were couple of more example, But cant recall.

I don't know about the world cup, but India will lose this test series 3-0. I guess India will draw the second test at Adelaide, given its very flat. There'll be carnage in the first test at Brisbane courtesy Mitch, might be some broken arms, legs etc.. These days Brisbane is as or even faster pitch than the WACA Perth.

maníaco said:
I hope India doesnt have the disaster WC which normally happens to the team touring before the WC. Like Pak in 2003 (SA).. There were couple of more example, But cant recall.
At 1991-92 India's performance at WC was bad. I guess India managed to beat only Pak and Zimbabwe, and lost against most of Test Teams. Match against SL was draw due to rain.

India's performances:
1975, 1979 - Bad
1983, 1987 - Good
1992 - Bad
1996 - Good
1999 - Bad
2003 - Good
2007 - Ugly
2011 - Good
2015 - If this trend of playing badly in the alternate tournaments continue, we will have a bad world cup next year.

Yes, he did. It was his debut series. Unfortunately for him, India played a lot of home tests for the next couple of years. He couldn't find a place in the team because India played 3 spinners - Kumble, Raju and Chauhan. Manoj Prabakhar was one seamer and he also opened the innings. Kapil was the other seamer. After taking 25 wickets in 5 tests in AU, Kapil only took 32 or 33 wickets in the next 16 or 17 tests until he retired. One reason was he and Prabhakar were just taking the shine off the ball for Kumble & Co. to wreak havoc. The other reason is his skills also diminished like it happened for Sachin in his last 2 years. Kapil could have concentrated on batting like Imran did. To me, Kapil could have been in the Indian team just for his batting skills. May be with more media scrutiny like in the last 20 years, he would have batted more carefully.