India's MTNL reveals fibre-to-the-home progress

• Thread starter Thread starter igod
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 8,618
Actually when people say 'Prabhadevi Exchange' its almost a generic term as there as more than half a dozen exchanges there (all new) + a bldg owned by VSNL (their submarine cable goes west into the sea past Kirti college where there is another VSNL bldg. Anyone living in Mumbai city upto Mahim will remember the massive traffice jams coz of the deep trenches dug by MTNL in those days into which the put grey colored fibre pipes, in some places as many as 10 - 12 numbers deep & 5 -6 number across seperated by cement seperators & ducts at intervals, all this in the first half of the 90's, for interconnecting the tel exchanges. In my case the jelly filled cables coming to our colony were removed & substituted with fibre optic cables upto a big junction box from where they have copper wires :huh:. Confirmed as I met the DE for our area who had come to our society yesterday. Even Hughes Tele (in 2000) & now part of the TATA group promised tel lines with fibre optic cables in Fort area for my office for high speed internet (dial up) but then we found out the hard way that the fibre optic cable was only upto the bldg junction box, after that it was copper wire:madness:. Needless to say the result was dissappointing to put it mildly. 🙂. Upto date I don't think any one in Mumbai has given fibre optic connetion right to the homes yet. There are many PSU companies who have a substantial fibre optic network in our country eg railways but they dont come in the lime light.

Fibre optic right to home wud be very costly as it can increase cable length by 1000 ft per building (assuming 50ft avg per house and 20 flats per bldg). Plus re-cableing each house again is just infeasible option.Plus Copper cable of 50ft shud NOT increase line disturbance too much and hence shud still give us good SNR.

Is MTNL really planning to launch 8Mbbps speed with its FTTH(Fibre To The Home) service in the new year 2009, as a new year gift??🙄Waiting for a 8Mbps NU Plan!!:yahoo:

waiting for 8Mbps running fibre optic cables to the home but when when😡😡