India's COVID-19 Vaccination Drive (Powered by Co-WIN)

Was the Covid-19 vaccine completely free for you?

• Total voters
ISP
Airtel | Jio | V! | BSNL
I agree with everything you said except one thing. You can't change the healthcare setup overnight. The wealthy and middle class are used to depending on the private setups for their healthcare needs. The word I used is "used to". It's not ideal, but it isn't a system that can be changed in a year or even five. It'll take consistent efforts over a decade to make our government provided socialized healthcare of an acceptable quality to the middle class and above. Even then it won't be sufficient if there are wait times involved like that seen in the UK and Canada...

The government decided to charge GST on vaccines in private. Is there any GST on vaccines given freely in the government centres? Why GST on a life saving drug, you could ask. It's a fair moral question. But in a practical scenario, GST is a cumulative tax that accumulates at every step of the manufacturing process. Considering how India is still not self sufficient in procuring our own active pharmaceutical agents, which are the raw chemicals needed to manufacture drugs, we have import taxes applicable at the very first step, which of course gets passed down, eventually accumulating along with all other taxes as GST. So what the government did was reduce taxes to the lowest slab possible.

There are flaws of course. But credit is due to the entire country, especially the workers in the Healthcare setup who actually work from 8-6pm (as far as I've seen near me) to vaccinate hundreds of people in each center. The government messed up for a long time initially, but the ground reality today is the entire country is sick of it and doing their best to protect themselves from the next wave. People are lining up for vaccines without being bigots and idiots like that seen in first world countries. Healthcare workers are still getting beaten up but not once acted on their threats to go on strike here in my state.

The battle isn't lost yet, and giving credit where it's due isn't a crime, nor does it mitigate the wrongdoings. Both can and should coexist. Praise where it's due and criticism where it's due.

Last edited:

pujaari

ISP
Act Fibernet 200 mbps
Why indulge in logic when you can just believe everything they boast?
Well, if i may have the right then would like to call myself a seeker and not a believer and in some way also responsible for being part of the problem that has no easy solutions.

Navjot Singh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Airtel
He had 7 years. How long is he going to use this excuse? Because I am sure even after 14 years of the BJP government, they will give the same excuse. The government started shutting down temp COVID Camps and hospitals from November 2020 itself as if the pandemic had ended.

Yes. GST is charged on every vial distributed in the country. I don't think GST discriminates based on where the vaccine is going. Government foots the cost, but I am sure it's reflected somewhere. The raw materials request that SII floated was not for the COVISHIELD vaccine. For that, they had ample raw materials. The only thing was that the Indian government never placed sufficient order quantities. Just google how much stock the government ordered for the first 6 months. And was it enough to vaccinate a country as big as ours? The stock is only improving now because they have to save their face.

Why should I give them credit when the government can't even foot the bill for a vaccine for every Indian for the insane taxes each of us pays?

If this government thinks charging for a life-saving vaccine is okay, then to hell with them and their fake achievements. I am supposed to pay 18% tax on a payment I make for my web hosting to a company with no office in India, for a server that is 1000s of miles away from here and then I am supposed to thank them for this? Gurgaon removed all the government centres from COWIN and the administration can't even provide a proper address for those centres. People living near those centres have no idea that you can get vaccinated there so where is their achievement? Government enabled walk-in vaccinations so late. People in remote areas could never get COWIN to work because they didn't know about it or the network failed. Even now, there is no fixed time for the vaccination slots to open.

In America, you can walk in to your closest Walmart and get vaccinated. Here either pay 1200 for a vaccine in a private hospital or try decoding the address of the random government center whose full address is Mullahera UPHC and then stand in line for hours to get a token or come tomorrow if you couldn't get it today.

Some achievement indeed.

manu1991

Ancient Philospher
ISP
Hyperoptic
I’d be curious to see where vaccine hesitancy starts being the limiting factor. I would expect it to be similar to the US ie a problem after 70% of adults are covered

ISP
Railwire, Airtel 4G
I don't think vaccine hesitancy will be as big factor in India like in USA. Most of the anti vaxxers in usa are due to ill conceived political leanings. Anti vax historically has been a major problem in western nations.

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
and it is easier to get your data logged on cowin without actually taking the vaccine here in india. you just need to have a contact at a vaccination center who would do it for you. as i mentioned in another post few days ago. antivaxxers in india are not a vocal crowd. they would quietly get their certificates without taking the vaccines if they need it for work or travel purposes.

manu1991

Ancient Philospher
ISP
Hyperoptic
I don't think vaccine hesitancy will be as big factor in India like in USA. Most of the anti vaxxers in usa are due to ill conceived political leanings. Anti vax historically has been a major problem in western nations.
The sales of coronil would beg to differ. I have heard countless stories of people afraid of getting vaccinated because of reading stupid rumours on WhatsApp. Literacy also has a strong correlation with vaccine hesitancy. I guess it should be clear in 2-3 months.

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
high courts orders do not apply nationally. i am guessing we are going to see a bunch of PILs filed against many such orders in coming months because it's going to happen on a much wider level.