Indian Railway goes GREEN - Allows VRM (ticket screenshot) as valid ticket!!

amish

Star gazer
Regulars
A good move by Indian Railway via Railway Board Letter No.2008/TG-I/10/P/SMS dated 20.07.2011

https://www.irctc.co.in/VRM.htm

Virtual Reservation Message (VRM) - A screen-shot of the e-ticket displayed through laptops/palmtops/ Mobile phone is referred as Virtual Reservation Message (VRM).

ERS (Electronic Reservation Slip)/VRM along with any one of the eight prescribed ID proofs in original and the indication of the passenger(s)' name(s) in the Reservation Chart will authorize the passenger to travel.

VRM combined with valid photo-id in original will be treated as an instrument on par with the ERS.

It is to be noted that earlier ERS prinout was partially compulsory, if you didnt have printout, you can still travel by paying fine of 50Rs.

Now there is no need for this too. You can simply upload image of ticket on your mobile and show it to TC.

Jaymin

A Big Fan of IBF
Regulars
Thats good. Now with larger screens of fones & many people even carrying lappies, it wud be very convenient actually.Reminds of What an Idea sirjee.........images of money being transferred while making purchases!

maniaco

Regulars
Regulars
Finally good initiative by IR, Now we can save that money on print outs as well. They should reduce the IRCTC service charges & additional Bank charges as well.

mehrotra.akash

Regular
Regulars
I wouldnt trust this
The accommodation booked is not transferable and is valid only if one of the ID card noted above is presented during the journey. The passenger
should carry with him the Electronic Reservation Slip print out. In case the passenger does not carry the electronic reservation slip, a charge of
Rs.50/- per ticket shall be recovered by the ticket checking staff and an excess fare ticket will be issued in lieu of that.

This is what the ticket I booked a few days back says

----------

By "this" I am refering to IRCTC
Just because the rule has been made, it doesnt mean each and every ticket checker on the trains would know about it

Jaymin

A Big Fan of IBF
Regulars
Just because the rule has been made, it doesnt mean each and every ticket checker on the trains would know about it

I guess ignorance is not an excuse for anyone. If they r ignorant & try to take action, u can revert back with retaliative action against that TC.

amish

Star gazer
Regulars
That is why on my first post itself I clearly wrote the REFERENCE LETTER by RAILWAY BOARD.

Railway Board Letter No.2008/TG-I/10/P/SMS dated 20.07.2011

If you tell this thing to TC, he will let you go because just by hearing the reference letter number he will be forced to believe you.

I just took a snapshot of 1 ticket which I booked just now and then I manually added that reference number in screen shot itself.

Also that 50Rs fine line is removed now from E-ticket and VRM word has been added.

Update:
Sorry 50Rs fine is mentioned on the ticket but word VRM is added as well. Here is the text:

The accommodation booked is not transferable and is valid only if one of the ID card noted above is presented during the journey. The
ERS/VRM along with the valid ID proof in original would be verified by TTE with the name and PNR on the chart. If the passenger fail to
produce/display ERS/VRM due to any eventuality (loss, damaged mobile/laptop etc.) but has the prescribed original proof of identity, a
penalty of Rs.50/- per ticket as applicable to such cases will be levied. The ticket checking staff On board/Off board will give Excess Fare
Ticket for the same.

Other advantage now is, last time my parents went somewhere I had to courier them the tickets because they forgot to take return ticket. Now I can directly put snapshot in their mobile. Even if they forget ticket, they can now show VRM.

mehrotra.akash

Regular
Regulars
That is why on my first post itself I clearly wrote the REFERENCE LETTER by RAILWAY BOARD.

Railway Board Letter No.2008/TG-I/10/P/SMS dated 20.07.2011

If you tell this thing to TC, he will let you go because just by hearing the reference letter number he will be forced to believe you.

Guess thats a good idea, will keep in mind

I just took a snapshot of 1 ticket which I booked just now and then I manually added that reference number in screen shot itself.

Also that 50Rs fine line is removed now from E-ticket and VRM word has been added.

I guess the system wasnt updated when I booked then

Other advantage now is, last time my parents went somewhere I had to courier them the tickets because they forgot to take return ticket. Now I can directly put snapshot in their mobile. Even if they forget ticket, they can now show VRM.

If it was an e-ticket, you could have just emailed it to them, and they could have printed it?

Jaymin

A Big Fan of IBF
Regulars
I think finding printer is much of a task buddy. I have the experience of it. Finding PC with internet is easy. But finding a PC with internet with printer is very difficult. Its not always possible.I think instead of going to Cyber cafes, and taking costly prints, its way easier to just transfer the screenshot to a cell/lappie. Infact, if u r savvy enuf, u can directly open the email in the cell!

mehrotra.akash

Regular
Regulars
I think finding printer is much of a task buddy. I have the experience of it. Finding PC with internet is easy. But finding a PC with internet with printer is very difficult. Its not always possible.

I think instead of going to Cyber cafes, and taking costly prints, its way easier to just transfer the screenshot to a cell/lappie. Infact, if u r savvy enuf, u can directly open the email in the cell!

Rs 3 isnt costly,and cybercafes are everywhere, but got your point

Wouldnt count on opening the mail on the mobile, would rather have a saved copy (what if you dont get a signal...)

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
Regulars
I'd like to say I could take some credit for this (even if I can't, it's still great news)!!Had a run in when I was on my whirlwind tour in April/May. I'd given a virtual ticket on the Mumbai-Hyderabad route which was accepted, then the Hyderabad-Chennai route it was not accepted, so after creating a ruckus and showing my virtual copy of the ticket which didn't have the "you must carry a paper copy" written on it, the TC quietly decided not to issue the fine :)