Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) News

Yeah but what matters is how long he takes to get up to speed. active server is a proprietary product, there are tons of those, a student fresh out of college is supposed to be able to adapt to those systems, any system rather than being skilled in them.

You want a guy who can set it up in a jiffy then you shoudln't be looking at greenhorns but experienced hires. But they'll charge you some good coin.

In the end its how much you put up isn't it, always has been 🙂

You're missing the point. An MCSE is a Microsoft Certified System's Engineer - the entire course is all about Microsoft products! If someone who holds this certification can't apply knowledge from one of the fundamental products they should have been studying for the past few months in real life, they're no good to anybody and frankly, they may not even deserve the certification.

Moreover, a fresher is more likely to have learned on the previous generation of the software, so in theory they should be equally able to set up the system as someone who's been doing it for say 5 years.

The only concession I can really grant is that some companies have different "best practices" to others... but that's about it.

I just dnt understand why can't companies hire some decent work force who actually know what they are doing and are trying to solve the problems or issues or improving the organisation and are motivated to keep doing it rather than looking at what institute or what marks they scored...

Quite an interesting thread!classes are doing a brisk business,you would be pretty sure of your classes running if you hire the best professor for a particular subject..For instance if you see the mu affiliated college students ask their seniors what to for the next sem subjects,all they say is join so this A's class for this,join B's for so&so .

Hi,If I am correct the total no of undergraduate seats across all the 15 IITs have gone upto 9600. Around 5.6 lakh students appeared for it. So there is 1 seat for around 58 students. Am I right here? Has it become easier to get into IITs now since there are now more IITS and more seats? Thanks.

not unless the students are homogeneous over the years, ratio of students joining coaching etc. etc. everything remain unchanged. So yeah, citerus paribus, it is easier to get into an IIT.

The raw measure of candidates competing per seat isn't a very useful gauge. As I read in an interview of an IIT-D professor some years ago, there's a steep curve in terms of the calibre of JEE candidates. The first category of 200-300 rankers would have gotten in regardless of the number of surplus seats in excess of 300; the 2nd category of the next 500 would most likely get in, but after that it becomes a crapshoot. It's very possible that a candidate getting a 1200 rank could get a 2500 rank or none at all if a somewhat different test had been set. And then remains the bulk of the candidates with no realistic expectation of qualifying, but who only appear due to social pressure or just for the heck of it. I would bet that almost all of the increased bloat belongs to the last category. The increased seats do probably help those in the 3rd category.

I agree with this.

The raw measure of candidates competing per seat isn't a very useful gauge. As I read in an interview of an IIT-D professor some years ago, there's a steep curve in terms of the calibre of JEE candidates. The first category of 200-300 rankers would have gotten in regardless of the number of surplus seats in excess of 300; the 2nd category of the next 500 would most likely get in, but after that it becomes a crapshoot. It's very possible that a candidate getting a 1200 rank could get a 2500 rank or none at all if a somewhat different test had been set. And then remains the bulk of the candidates with no realistic expectation of qualifying, but who only appear due to social pressure or just for the heck of it. I would bet that almost all of the increased bloat belongs to the last category. The increased seats do probably help those in the 3rd category.

Hi Guys, Is there any coahcing for IIT JEE in NOida? I am located in NOida and study in a public school here. There are no good coaching institutes in my area. Please help me.

http://www.readability.com/articles/laxbextj
Till a couple of years back, the IITs would hold only one round of counselling since they thought it to be beneath their dignity to keep counselling for such premium seats open for too long. But times have changed. With the number of IITs going up to 16 and that of the seats to 10,000, from 4000 in 2006, the entire IIT undergraduate pedagogy has changed. While the admission chairpersons at the IITs say that the number of vacant seats has been far less compared to last year, the IIT faculty at the older institutes like Kharagpur, Delhi, Powai and Madras rue the fact that there has been a 'watering down' of IIT education with the Union ministry of human resources development deciding to open the new IITs. Last year the number of vacant seats was 322, while in 2011 a whopping 757 seats remained vacant. The streams where most of these vacancies exist are, mining, metallurgy, architecture, geophysics, chemical engineering and tech courses related to bio-sciences. The IITs have a total 9885 seats, of which 9678 could be filled up at the end of three rounds of counselling.

Dear Friends,

As far as what I have learned from the net, the total number of IITs currently running in India is 17 and total number of IIMs running is 13. Am I right? Thanks.