Indian government to launch their own DNS Server

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 5,108
Depends on what you are testing.
But in general, DNS encryption is for enhancing your web security.
How to Boost Your Internet Security with DNSCrypt
When you use HTTPS or SSL, your web browsing traffic is encrypted. When you use a VPN, all of your traffic is encrypted (usually). Sometimes even with HTTPS and VPNs in play, DNS requests—or the way your computer translates "lifehacker.com" into numbers that your computer understands, like "199.27.72.192," are completely unencrypted, leaving you open to spoofing and man-in-the-middle attacks. DNSCrypt can lock that down.
"DNS Leaking" happens when your system, even after you've connected to a a VPN or anonymity network like Tor, continues to query your ISP's DNS servers every time you visit a new website, connect to a new server, or fire up a new internet-connected application. Ultimately, it means that even though your traffic is encrypted, your ISP—or worse, anyone snooping on the "last mile" of your internet connection (aka, the network between your computer and your ISP)—can clearly see everything you connect to you're going on the internet and every site you visit on the web.
To be fair, encrypting your DNS is a level of security that many people may not need to aspire to. However, if you do regularly work with sensitive material, work remotely and need to make sure all of your traffic is secure, or travel to places where you may be snooped on, encrypting your DNS is a good idea. If you need true anonymity or privacy, even from your ISP, you may want to consider it. If you're just surfing the web from the comfort of your home, it may not be an issue for you.

Last edited:
i think he means why would people use this government operated dns.

Normally users don't set the DNS or any other settings. They just use the default settings provided y the ISP. But the Govt can mandate that the ISPs use govt DNS and then people would use it, without even being aware of it.

Hi, admin, the tolls in the section is not at all effective . consider quick heal. It does not catch. Probably, for other sake this tool is given free for users.
If all the browsings could be routed through one particular server, would not the server traffic becomes congestsed.
I think solution lies in other areas.
i have seen all the things and has also posted the bsnl injection , to which they advised me to contact my service provider for that purpose. Not effective at all.
It is your antivirus, router settings, router firmware updates that will give solution to all the problems.
Mostly no vendor gives updates for the older routers like D-Link. they have not updated firmware for the past 4years. By that time, there might have been compromises with virus router and rootkit attacks. From the daily alert i receive in from google on router security alerts, almost i have alerts on 4 to 5 vulnerabilities .
Recently the dnsl server of bsnl went some change. The usual dns server was changed.
It is the service provider effectiveness in developing and monitoring the servers.

I wonder if they'll start to block VPN IP soon. I mean some forums ban them to prevent spam, and I really can't get through any IP. So I'm guessing Indian govt should be able to ban all VPN too, and combined with this, it can be full surveillance
That's where my onions come in!

This just reminded me of the 827 or so sites that got blocked in 2018. I am surprised no one filed a counter case against that block since it was such an abrupt and massive block. But then it was never really a problem to bypass the blocks in the first place. My ISP even failed to block the https version of the sites (Mikrotik router short comings?).

Bottom line is, this is no longer just an internet or technological issue, this a socio-political issue that needs to be dealt through legal and political channels. DNSCrypt or any way of bypassing this only acts as a pain killer. The antibiotic is activism and policy changes. We netizens must unite against this. Even if govt DNS becomes a reality we need to ensure they have no way to force it upon us.

There is a major problem as the political leaders think they are the "Rulers" (ruling party) and not a governing party * with majority support). They are mistaking privilege to serve as a privilege to rule. And are making changes to the constitution to enable them to do so, by bypassing Rajya Sabha and passing ordinances.