Indian Governement's NIXI-policy restricts internet-dream of a poor man

• Thread starter Thread starter Gaurav Jha
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 3,040
ISP
Google Peering 1 Gbps Unlimited
My following point is written in support of the speculation that large telecom lobbies are behind NIXI's anarchist policy—which not only curbs the growth of small ISPs in India but also encourages monopoly of large ISPs. I support a view that like other countries, India really needs a "Fair competition tribunal" which can ensure conducive environment for new business to flourish. When countered with following points, government's secy provide a lip service with:
The policy should be fair to large and small ISPs. The infrastructure invested by the large ISPs should be adequately compensated.

Lets look at NIXI's draconian policy:
1. National Internet Exchange of India is the only IXP in the world which enforces FUP-limit along with port charges. Since NIXI is the only exchange in whole world which charges with Per GB basis, you can't expect an unlimited connection in India. (It promotes monopoly of a Large ISP).

2. NIXI's wishlist of connecting to small ISP is just another lip service. NIXI requires all ISP connecting to it should have a public AS number. A small ISP can't afford to spend on public AS-Number. Thus small ISPs which can provide cheaper internet to common man of India is restricted to grow its consumer base. It should also be noted that APNIC's membership with per IP address price is too much for a common man to pay.

Suggestions:
If government uses telegraph act to restrict private internet exchange to be started in India, it should at least have the decency to invest in fiber optic communication with other IXP around the world. Port charges any IXP costs on average $5000 per 100 Gbps ports per month. If implemented with proper infrastructure, a common man in India can enjoy unlimited internet connection of 1 Mbps line at less than 90% price.

Lets see how much an unlimited connection of 1 Mbps costs.
Cost of Port: 5 Rupees / Month. (Bandwidth 7000$ for 100 Gbps leased Lines+Membership charge)
APNIC's AN & IP address: 2 Rupees/Month
Infrastructure maintenance cost: 50 Rupees/Month.

When you can get an unlimited connection of 1 Mbps line in less than 100 Rs/Month, why you are being charged 100 Rs/GB. That's the monopoly of big ISPs.

How much it costs to get as number from ip agency?
Any idea?
Also current rate is 5per GB without any road map for further reduction. I think they should reduce to re.1 per gig in next 3 years if not unlimited.

I'm not sure about APNIC, but ARIN charges US$500 for ASN registration, plus US$100 per year for ASN maintenance. APNIC charges AU$1500 for their membership fee, while ARIN charges US$500. From the APNIC website, it seems like they don't charge for ASNs.

Sources:
https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html#asns
https://www.apnic.net/services/become-a-member/how-much-does-it-cost
https://www.apnic.net/services/services-apnic-provides/helpdesk/faqs/asn-faqs

No. 1 is so outrageous, I can't even. Why the hell does IXP charge for bandwidth AND ports? Where is Mr. Modi's digital india and india innovation and all that buzzwordy crap? How much does IXP charge for bandwidth? And does no other country(not even Africa/China/etc.) do this?

Well this is not the only think big isp are doing. There is restrictions on cable landing stations also.
What i hate is tata vsnl also supports it. A tata co which want to provide affordable car and housing to ppl but no broadband.

No. 1 is so outrageous, I can't even.

Why the hell does IXP charge for bandwidth AND ports?
Charging for ports is pretty common pricing standards around the world but charging for bandwidth has been lobbied by large ISP in 2002.
Lobbying ISP who influence government's decision are Reliance, TCL & Teleglobe (Tata), Bharti-Airtel.

Where is Mr. Modi's digital india and india innovation and all that buzzwordy crap?
I think all the governments were pressured by large ISPs to maintain ISP friendly regulatory which benefits business than competition promotion regulatory which benifits consumers.
In economics, its called Regulatory Capture

How much does IXP charge for bandwidth?
IXP charges Rs 11 per GB. (5 per GB IXP fee. Public peering connection cost charge is Rs 6 per GB).

And does no other country(not even Africa/China/etc.) do this?
Yes, No other country in the world have this outrageous regulatory policy (Not even African countries). In Fact Nigerian IXPs port pricing is only 300$ for unlimited 10 Gbps/port/month and anyone can connect to their IXP. While in India, no private party is allowed to start his/her internet exchange (Restriction via Telegraph Act). There are also draconian restriction on neutral connection to NIXI in India.

How much it costs to get as number from ip agency? Any idea?
APNIC is the only authority which provides IP address and AS Numbers to ISPs in India. You may argue that Rs 5 is pretty low but when you convert to terabytes of data flow per second, it costs additional $1.23 million per month to an ISP. A small ISP can't afford such a fee. Due to which they have to regulate FUP. Using ARIN will force you to declare your connection to international regulator where consumer data can be used to spy upon by intelligence agency. Thus you need APNIC Membership to protect your users.

There is restrictions on cable landing stations also.
I agree but cable landing station is a private property. They are running a business and not charity. So I don't think it would be right for government to intervene and implement a neutrality at cable landing stations. All we need is a lift of FUP limit at NIXI stations and rest can be taken care by common man him/herself.