India Tour of Australia 2011/12

• Thread starter Thread starter Jaymin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 560
  • Views Views 41,727
India again struggling to clean up tailender batsman 🙁

ESPN Star's coverage without Harsha Bhogle is outrightly dull and BORING. :excruciating: and no Sunny Gavaskar either.

Channel 9's coverage is the best, 3 commentators on at once. Really keeps you hooked to test cricket, even during slow boring spells of cricket on the field!

----------

I have a novel idea. Since i am going watch the entire test series ball by ball, let me keep a keep a count of possible DRS review scenarios which would have reversed the decision given by the on field umpire. I know it's a contentious issue especially the LBW's, but it will be fun. At the end of each day i will post the DRS score of negatives of not having DRS in place.

Day 1: Micheal Hussey certainly didn't nick the ball & neither did ED Cowan. Under the current parameters of DRS, both would have been reversed. Brad Haddin would also have been given out LBW of the bowling of Zaher.

Aus - 2
India - 1

^^^^Ed Cowan had clearly nicked it, it was just the fault of the Hotspot. Just on the lines u want to keep a count, Dada said while he was on air: 1-1 U cant deny the fact that Cowan was out, just coz that crap Hotspot didnt pick it up. Yeah, Huss was unlucky, but Cowan surely wasnt. And such decisions have favored the bowling side, even when DRS was in place......remember Dravid's dismissal in England Tests? Hotspot was a coldspot, but still the umpire went with what was right - the edge was there, the sound was there, then it doesnt matter if Coldspot shows it or not.

^^^^

Ed Cowan had clearly nicked it, it was just the fault of the Hotspot. Just on the lines u want to keep a count, Dada said while he was on air: 1-1 U cant deny the fact that Cowan was out, just coz that crap Hotspot didnt pick it up. Yeah, Huss was unlucky, but Cowan surely wasnt. And such decisions have favored the bowling side, even when DRS was in place......remember Dravid's dismissal in England Tests? Hotspot was a coldspot, but still the umpire went with what was right - the edge was there, the sound was there, then it doesnt matter if Coldspot shows it or not.

All it took was 1 post to stir the hornet's nest! :cool_2:

How can you be so sure that he nicked it? Did you see a snicko replay of the same? Since the decision to not use the DRS at all for this series was taken together by the two boards, i cannot comment on why the host broadcaster Channel 9 did not provide the snicko reply of the same to ESPN Star, or perhaps ESPN Star more conveniently chose not to AIR it. It was pretty clear from the batsman's reaction that he had not nicked it. Forget what Dada says, just check out the day reports on all the cricket websites. I appreciate your views supporting the Indian team stance of the DRS, but the game is bigger than anyone. Sometimes you have to look at the things from a neutral perspective.

For DRS to be effective, you have to take both snicko & hotspot into consideration. I don't have the problem of DRS favouring the bowling sides, it makes for interesting TV! Batsment have had it easy in test cricket for too long!

My scoring is totaly from a nuetral perspective Aus - 2 India - 1 🙂

How can you be so sure that he nicked it? Did you see a snicko replay of the same?

Well, there was clear deflection off the bat, and there was the noise, which can b easily detected if u have Full Bass on the Speakers. I think if there is sound of nick, and there is a clear deflection of the ball as it went past the bat, it doesnt matter whether Hotspot shows the nick or not.

It wasnt a case where a fast bowler was bowling and there was late swing of of the ball as it went past the bat. It was a spinner bowling, so obviously the ball wont spin mid air after pitching. Thats conclusive enuf for everyone then, that if there is a deflection, it has to be the bat.

For DRS to be effective, you have to take both snicko & hotspot into consideration

Thats the reason y BCCI has been standing against DRS. The technology is making JUST TOO MANY ERRORS. If an Umpire makes a mistake, its still digestible. But if the technology also makes glaring mistakes, then i think that cant be tolerated at all.

My scoring is totaly from a nuetral perspective Aus - 2 India - 1

U r not being neutral here! By trying to b neutral, u are actually getting biased towards 1 particular team.

Forget what Dada says, just check out the day reports on all the cricket websites

Heres are few of the cricket sites.....

1) http://www.criclounge.com/news/3696/India-Australia-share-honors-on-Day-1-as-Australia-manage-277-6-on-the-boxing-day.html

Ashwin finally broke through the defences of Cowan as he found his outside edge after he played an excellent innings on debut, the Indians were back into the game big time with three quick wickets.

2) http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2011/content/current/story/546856.html

Cowan now let his guard down, cutting impatiently at Ashwin and was adjudged by Gould to have offered the thinnest of edges to Dhoni. Hot-spot showed no evidence of contact, adding another unhappy chapter to the saga of technology and its inconsistent use

3) http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/47863/Teams-battle-against-fluctuating-fortunes

Ashwin coaxed Cowan into playing a poorly timed cut-shot that served only to nick a feathered catch to Dhoni.

4) http://cricket.yahoo.com/news/live--australia-vs-india--day-1-at-the-melbourne-test.html

Ravichandran Ashwin couldn’t keep the runs down with his first two spells. But he managed to slow things down in the evening, getting Cowen to cut a not-so-short ball to Dhoni

So, which other sites u r claiming here?

I am totally against UDRS, especially in the form it currently exists. Maintaining the scores? What if the teams had already used up the chances already in failure? I understand the need to curb unwanted appeals - But sorry to say, making it as a strategic tool is pure crap. Consider this scenario : You have 1 review left, night watchman is batting with an opener & you are 80% sure he nicks it. What do you do? Many "strategists" will say hold on to it, to be used against other top order batsman as cant risk loosing the last review availableThis is what I do not like ........ Once again, I understand the need to curb unnecessary appealing. But absolutely against making it a strategic tool.

Indian blower did great job to pick up early wicket but they manage to get partnerships to active decent scorenow it's interesting to see how Indian batsman perform.. as for aus its there home country still they struggled and for us its totally opposite condition all eyes are on dravid and laxman

I am not too confident that we will be able to wrap up as quickly as we think. 325 is the worst I am hoping for.

Well, there was clear deflection off the bat, and there was the noise, which can b easily detected if u have Full Bass on the Speakers.
I think if there is sound of nick, and there is a clear deflection of the ball as it went past the bat, it doesnt matter whether Hotspot shows the nick or not.

Well here's the point i am trying to make. Hotspot did not catch anything, but where was the Snicko replay of the same ball? If it was so obvious that he nicked it why was it not shown by ESPN STAR? For one moment, if i agree with your point that Hotspot missed the nick, it would have been caught by the snicko.

I go by the evidence what i see with my eyes, not what the Indian or any other commentators for that matter say about it. Perhaps you should see this clip...here is the proof. Channel 9 replays of both the incidents. Watch the the Ed Cowan dismissal @ 3mins 20 seconds of the clip, there was nothing on the Snicko as well and there appeared to be slight gap between ball and bat as well.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TSZOf1kfJFA

After watching this reply If you are intent on saying that both Hotspot and even Snickometer were wrong, then i have no intention of taking this discussion forward at all!

Screenshot from same clip - nick or not - The jury is still out according to me

----------

8K to Sehwag... 23rd to do so in Tests... How many would have believed that he would achieved this with his technique and that too most of them as an opener.

----------

Goes past M.Waugh & G.Sobers.

The jury is still out according to me.

Lets leave it at this and move on 🙂 Nice innings by Sehwag!

Guys any idea why Bhogle and Gavaskar are not part of the commentary for this Series with ESS.....