India Orders VPN Companies to Collect and Hand Over User Data

• Thread starter Thread starter minuteman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 182
  • Views Views 15,896
@Sushubh have you ever got stuck in any legal stuff due to this forum or hosting or anything regarding this? Has any ISP or person has did anything which ever put you in situation like this? Isn't hosting this site required your details? What if someday government tells you to take down this site? (Although it's never gonna happen). Maybe it's just me being in a weird state of mind at 2:14 AM 😅

I think they the govt are gonna go through with anyway regardless if anyone agitates or no.

India defends move to seek VPN user info

So a bureaucrat defends the move claiming other countries are moving in that direction. Oh well, there's an element of truth in that as Western Govts have been arm twisting several VPNs, some successfully and some not so successfully, to store and share logs.

Where all this is heading? There is bound to be a deadlock between the Govt and VPN providers and the normal thing that follows a deadlock is a ban. It's only a matter of time.

What will happen to corporate VPN usage?
I don't think, they can give all those details to Govt.
They are also bounded by their Client NOCs.

What it comes down to is, how will they enforce VPNs incorporated in Panama or Sweden jurisdiction to maintain these logs. Send them a letter with "kadi ninda"?

This would be a major headache for VPNs too, they'll have to add HDD/SSDs to their entire infrastructure and then identify traffic coming from India. This is if they agree in the first place. The fact that even China couldn't curb VPNs says something.

Probably some bureaucrat bit off more than he can chew here.

China has actually curbed VPNs to a great extent. Just that they don't enforce it with the same level of strictness for expats and visitors as they do for the local people

China has blocked most VPNs and actively tracks connection attempts to VPNs that are still accessible through the Great Firewall. That’s not the same as what India is demanding. India is demanding KYC.

Yes and threatening arrest of the operators if they don't maintain an unreasonable amount of information on RAM only servers