2mbps is the minimum requirement to be called broadband in India

• Thread starter Thread starter xtc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 5,570

It was supposed to be updated by 2015 from what i remember. they need to stick to deadlines and have real world goals that updates with the evolving web. 2mbps is barely enough to keep up with basic web services just like 512kbps was 5 years ago.

"I propose to take up the matter with the communications ministry," IT minister Ravi Shankar Prasad told TOI. "We will consider laying down a policy for increasing the minimum broadband speed from the current levels."

and seriously, he is the law minister these days not the it minister. what did toi do?

update: turns out the freakshow is still the it minister of india along with law minister of india. as if both are minor ministries that can be handled by one incompetent being.

Last edited:
It isn't going to make any difference at all, because the ISPs will just remove the "broadband" tag and offer plain internet.

I don't see Bsnl or any other ISP offering a min speed of 2Mbps without a sizable hike in prices.

I remember this being brought up in 2014 ,and the government just updated their 512kbps to 2Mbps FUP plans lol..

It isn't going to make any difference at all, because the ISPs will just remove the "broadband" tag and offer plain internet.

I don't see Bsnl or any other ISP offering a min speed of 2Mbps without a sizable hike in prices.
Let the force of reliance hit them hard,i think reliance will be a win win when it comes to FTTH, its like reliant is the suicide bomber of ISP.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

The Indian government is finally mulling over increasing minimum broadband speed from the current 512 kbps (kilobits per second) to 2 mbps (megabits per second). The government has revised the minimum internet speed in August 2014 from 256 kbps to 512 kbps, which is now being considered as “abysmally slow”.

Published on Telecom talk website but dont know why I am unable to post link of that post here.

Hope we get it soon. By Diwali 😀😛 2Mbps unlimited in Rs.675. 😊

find a better source for your news postings here or just keep it to yourself if you can't.

I have 2mbps unlimited with good latency Netflix and youtube work fine does cover all my needs. They need to think beyond speed think reliability. I know a guy who has work from home facility he says if the network faces issues he has to rush to office. Though it does not happen every time but for people like him and other who rely on internet for their livelihood reliability also needs to be given attention. As for penetration of mobile internet is still way ahead and the pricing is still very expensive.

Also this was a very interesting read

How a group of neighbors created their own Internet service

Still looking not yet implemented. Airtel would try to trash the regulation as it still gives 512kbps after fup speed on plans less than 1k.

TRAI to examine minimum Internet speeds of telecom companies

Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) will soon release a consultation paper on minimum Internet speed offered by telecom operators.

There has been reports that the government is likely to increase the speed requirement to 2 Mbps from the current 512 Kbps for Internet services to be classified as broadband. The announcement for this is expected to be made at the end of this month.

As per reports, the Department of Telecom (DoT) might not go ahead with TRAI’s proposal on allowing mobile services onboard aircraft. A DoT standing committee, which evaluated the proposal, has said it is advisable to permit only Internet as in-flight connectivity in the Indian airspace at this stage.

thanks to small companies we have already 1GBps and these cartoons are still fighting over 2MBps minimum, not less than 100MBps uplload/download should be min speed, with they way content is now being shared online !

Ahem!! Not all the cities have that luxury!!
My Dad living in Nagpur is still stuck at freaking 1Mbps Post FUP with BSNL
So this would be a welcome move for Many Tier 2 Cities and below