India Gears for IPv4 to IPv6 Switch

• Thread starter Thread starter saurabh28
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 72
  • Views Views 28,484
DSL-502T shud still work with IPv6 if u use bridge mode.

las time when i went to exchange in server room...some trainee engineers were reading ipv6 books..

las time when i went to exchange in server room...some trainee engineers were reading ipv6 books..

They have started preparing😀

correction only 2 hours are left

IPv4 Address Report

as of 9:42 pm ist only 178,000 ips are left

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

but regional rir's aren't expected to exhaust sometime in sept 2011 or even before

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

btw IANA has not released class E network aka ips 240.0.0.0-255.255.255.255 @ 268 million ipv4 will be unused or reserved and now it is too late to release as windows wont recognize it .

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

IPv4 Exhaustion: What About Class E Addresses? - Packet Life

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

"At the present time, most IP implementations consider any IP address in the range 240.0.0.0 through 255.255.255.255 to be invalid as the source or destination of a datagram. The check for such "illegal" addresses may occur in many places, including at datagram receipt, before IP datagram transmission, when an IP address is assigned to a network interface, or even by router and firewall configuration parsers.

The class E space has 268 million addresses and would give us in the order of 18 months worth of IPv4 address use. However, many TCP/IP stacks, such as the one in Windows, do not accept addresses from class E space and will not even communicate with correspondents holding those addresses. It is probably too late now to change this behavior on the installed base before the address space would be needed."

Hayai will be fully IPv6 from day-1. Being as late to the game as we were, we didn't bother to get many IPv4 addresses.Also, I see plenty of IPv6 peers in my torrent software and I'm behind a D-Link 502T right now. I have a normal IPv4 address here but I'm guessing that my upstream ISP has one of the various IPv4-IPv6 translation packages running somewhere in their network.We'll have to run similar software but the other way around (IPv6-IPv4).

by 1am ist 1 feb ipv4 will be exhausted.

circa jan 1 1983-feb 1 2011

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

less than 100,000 left

This will happen now.. charges for public IP will double or even triple 😀

Actually small ISPs will start using NATing.. and there are so many unused IPs.ISPs here give 16 IPs to corporates..and they hardly use 3 to 4. Basically, there is IP wastage!

i have 6. i am using 4 i think. found no use of dedicating individual ips to different sites. 😕

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

of course companies like microsoft and google probably have thousands if not millions of IPs 😀