India Gears for IPv4 to IPv6 Switch

• Thread starter Thread starter saurabh28
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 72
  • Views Views 28,468
IPv6 customer information page

How would we know if MTNL has made the switch or not?

Who said that they are going to stop using ipv4 in 2030?

And you are talking about 9 years from now. Who would still be using the same routers and models 9 years from now?

@vikram_ch All enterprise routers sold from 2015 and many sold from 2010 were/are IPv6 compliant. Most enterprises will upgrade their systems every decade or so. Even if a newly setup company buys routers/switches today, they’ll start failing in around 10 years and it would be more cost-effective to buy new than repair at that point.
So mostly no one will be left behind after flag day in 2030.

@pillaicha the routers which we use currently in the basic configuration mode IPV4 is only there whereas advanced has provision for ipv6. Most of the routers are compatible for dual stack but has someone tested it just on IPV6. I tried but since my setup for IPV6 works on the top of IPV4 hence couldn't use only IPV6 for my network setup

The routers which we currently use all support end to end pure ipv6. The limitations mostly exist with devices and OS at this point. For example, many basic Android services and Play store services need ipv4. They don't do so well in pure ipv6. Many apps still need ipv4 for some functions, even though they're published as ipv6-capable. they rely on hard coded literal ipv4 addresses or domains without AAAA records for a few functions. It's on app developers and OS developers to be able to start making their software be fully functional on pure ipv6 only. It'll take a few more years.

My Linksys router from 2016 can pretty much perform dual stack ipv6 out of the box, since 2016.

iOs apps already need to be fully ipv6 compatible to be allowed on the play store.

People here were pissed at RBI for threatening credit card companies if they don't comply with an order regarding recurring transactions. An excited representative here mentioned that Excitel doesn't see the 'need' to deploy IPv6 yet.

Unless companies are forced, they won't do shit.

Who said India hasn’t been forcing for IPv6 or pushing for new IPv6 root servers? We’ve been doing it since 2012. It was supposed to have happened with wired ISPs by 2020. COVID gave them some more time to delay it.

Its not strictly enforced, it's encouraged AFAIK. A lot of small ISPs don't have any IPv6 block yet, let alone assigning it to end consumers.