Increasing WiFi Strength OR Using Router as repeater ? Help

Nikhil Soni

Hi,I need some help regarding Increasing WiFi Strength I have a wifi connection on my neighbour[My cousin's home)He has wifi router ..I get Network strength as 4 bars in my Outside yard but this strength becomes zero when I reach to my home and Wifi signal disappears which is hardly 4m apart 🙁So Is their any setting /tweak I can do to improve the strength ?Or is their any router setting which improves wifi strength ?PLUSI also has wireless router [DNA-A211]Can i use this router as repeater for boosting signal ?Please reply....

Suggest ur cousin to go for a router upgrade. No tweaks..

Hi,
I need some help regarding Increasing WiFi Strength I have a wifi connection on my neighbour[My cousin's home)
He has wifi router ..
I get Network strength as 4 bars in my Outside yard but this strength becomes zero when I reach to my home and Wifi signal disappears which is hardly 4m apart 🙁
So Is their any setting /tweak I can do to improve the strength ?
Or is their any router setting which improves wifi strength ?

Some routers have the ability to tune strength and range of the WiFi signal but, it's unlikely you've got one that has such a setting (they're not cheap - starting at Rs20k & up once you include the extra antenna you'd want to achieve distances over ~50m or so).

Anyway, despite the short distance between good WiFi and no WiFi, the signal is likely to be either obstructed or absorbed by bars on the windows or unshielded cable (anything that conducts a signal, basically - whether electrical, tv cable, cat5, anything) and not the distance itself, unless you're really at the cusp of your cousin's router's signal range.

You can move the router physically closer to a window where the signal will hopefully be less obstructed, or, if there is no physical distance between your residences (you share a wall) then you're best to run a cable between 2 of the LAN ports on each router.

But if you insist on WiFi and you want to be really adventurous you can take any kind of unshielded electrical cable and make a large loop around the window that faces your cousin's router and then open up a USB WiFi dongle and attach it to the dongle's motherboard (or if it has an external antenna port, to that).

PLUS

I also has wireless router [DNA-A211]
Can i use this router as repeater for boosting signal ?

Please reply....

Some routers have a wireless repeating function, but after a quick google and 5 minutes of reading what limited documentation is available on this model of router, I can't find anything which suggests yours has this capability (it may well do, I'm just saying *I* can't find anything at this moment). An inexpensive router which *does* have this function is the Netgear WGR614 but you probably need one with an ADSL modem integrated, so, Netgear DGN1000 or similar should have the same capability.

I should probably also point out that if you're planning to share Internet connections, this is not legal in India (ISPs have KYC norms and stuff they have to adhere to and if it is discovered the ISP has the right to terminate the connection and charge you and/or your cousin a fine) and I otherwise disclaim any responsibility for any legal troubles that may arise as a result of your use of this information.