• Thread starter Thread starter crossword
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 1,532

crossword

ISP
bsnl
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a dual core laptop with a good processor [not anything inferior like Celeron or anything slow.] my desktop processor is an AMD dual core 270 processor with 2 MB cache and 3.4 GZ speed. I don’t want anything much slower than that.

I found this:
Lenovo Essentail G505 (59-379528) Laptop (APU Quad Core A4/ 2GB/ 500GB/ DOS) Rs.24995 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Essentail G505 (59-379528) Laptop (APU Quad Core A4/ 2GB/ 500GB/ DOS) Black Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

but it says:
Processor APU Quad Core A4
Variant A4-5000
Brand AMD
Clock Speed 1.5 GHz
I'm puzzled. Despite it being a quad core, the Clock Speed is only 1.5 GHz. I thought a quad core would be faster?

I need the lappy only for word processing and the internet, not gaming or editing. but Clock Speed of 1.5 GHz still sounds very slow to me. Shouldn’t it be at least 2.2 GHz or more?
Can you please recommend me something within Rs 25,000 from some good reliable store such as flipkart, snapdeal, junglee.com. Which would you say is the most reliable?

I would like a brand like Lenovo which is reputed to be strong. I have read reviews that say Dell is too flimsy.
However any brand that is good will also do. Asus is supposed to be cheaper. If Asus is as good quality and strong as Lenovo, it would be fine.

I don’t want a brand like Acer which is reputed to be cheap because of lower quality.
So which lappy would you recommend? I've been hunting through these stores and am just confused since I don’t have any experience at all with lappys and this will be my first lappy.

I know theres some debate about whether Intel or AMD is faster…I just want something fast that isn’t too expensive.

Thanks in advance.

AMD APUs are low cost high performance solutions as they integration CPU and GPU in a single unit. In any case, do not go by the GHz rating. It does not tell you the full story. I am not sure how good AMD APUs are compared to low end Intel processors so I would let someone else answer about that.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I like that its Core i3 4010U. but again why is the Processor Speed only 1.7 GHz? I see another Intel Core i3-3110M Processor that is 2.40Ghz, though more expensive that I want:

Amazon.in: Buy Lenovo G50059-380860 15.6 -inch LED Laptop (Black) Online at Low Prices in India | Lenovo Reviews & Ratings

I have been working on a desktop with an AMD prpcessor for almost a year now and had no problems. I don’t know if the problems come later? Why do some people advise against AMD?

A couple days ago snapdeal said on TV that if we bought a laptop that day we would pay Rs 2000 less. Did I miss a great deal or is it like with stores in real life where they often inflate the price to pretend youre getting a good deal?

Upvote 0
"A cousin bought Asus laptop with AMD Kabini APU. Came with dos, I installed Ubuntu. Performance is smooth. He gave 19k. Has 2GB,500GB,DVD writer etc."
do you know the model number so i can search for it online?

Upvote 0
ARK | Intel® Core™ i3-3110M Processor (3M Cache, 2.40 GHz)
ARK | Intel® Core™ i3-4010U Processor (3M Cache, 1.70 GHz)

HP model appears to be a fourth generation core processor which means it is more power efficient and has more capabilities. Lenovo appears to be powered with an older third generation processor. As I have said above. Do not go by clock speed when you are comparing processors from different generations. The technology changes so much every year that these processors cannot be compared on paper by looking at their GHz value. Google around for processor comparisons and see if you can find a detailed study on which processor is better in terms of raw performance.

Upvote 0
Thanks! Though I've been researching I don’t know much about computers and wasn’t aware of the difference between a fourth generation core processor and an older third generation processor.
This is why I asked here. I'm looking for a good deal, something like the HP that was mentioined above, ie, something that is generally more expensive because its good, but some site has it for cheaper.
I admit I am wary of HP. I once read reviews of one model of HP that said the screens were really bad and just died after a year or so.
Maybe it was just that one model but when you read a bad review like that and don’t know much about computers, you become wary and resolve to stick to brands like Lenovo which I've never heard bad things about.
However as I said I am looking for a good deal, so if that HP is really worth it…
Are there any others like that? some really good fast processor within Rs 25,000?
Also, should I buy a metal or a plastic chillpad [with a fan to cool down the lappy]? I fear plastic will break easily. But will metal get too hot?

Upvote 0
That HP deal looks good if it is still at the same price. As for the build quality and component quality, that would vary from one model to another. And if you are very unlucky, you are going to face problems with any product bought from any manufacturer. In this price segments, there are some compromises wrt build quality etc.
I have zero experience with a cooling pad. Laptops today are quite cool by nature. I mean Haswell is known to be super power efficient which means it runs pretty cool too. So only think about investing on a chillpad if you find your laptop getting hot after prolonged usage.

Upvote 0