IIS on Sify BB

• Thread starter Thread starter Suraj
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 4,287

Suraj

Regular
Hi people,Is IIS possible on Sify?The problem i am facing is that the ip address @$$igned when i log in to Sify is never listed in the Ip drop down list in IIS Manager (its my local ip that gets listed not the online one which happens to be in the range 2xx.xxx.xx.xxx?Any ideas??Thanks for all inputs

You could run IIS but your IP address will change everytime you logout and login because Sify seems to be using Dynamic addressing.

Maybe a service like "Dynamic Domain Name Service" which points your domain name to your changing IP address will make it work.

You can't see your public IP address from within the Sify network because Sify probably runs NAT (Network Address Translation) on its servers. To determine it you'd have to use a host(online computer) on the wider internet, for eg. sites such as http://www.showmyip.com

Thanks for replying.i know i am not @$$igned a static ip once I log on to Sify....but thats the not the case i was mentioning. The ip address that i get is something like 10.XX.XXX.XXX not the one that i get when i am online which is of 2xx.xxx.xxx.xxx whatever.Yeah NAT could be the reason....but how can it block iis from listing all ips @$$igned to the machine...Check the attachment...all i need to do is select the ip from the drop down list and thats it.....and i have to do that again since if i logout and login again the ip address changes....i know that.What listed there is my local ip? You usually get all the ip addresses @$$igned to the system in the list.

inet had the right idea perhaps you would like a clearer more concise service like www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg (for heaven's sake don't make it your sig). Perhaps in the IP you could put 0.0.0.0 that should make it bind to all IP's addressed to that machine, it may not work, try it anyway.
P.S: YAY! You're in my zone! Please consider downloading borgchat (look at my sig) Perhaps I'll see you on the LAN.

Look at it this way. You have a LAN sharing an internet connection and you run IIS on one of the LAN's node computers instead of on the gateway computers. What IP do you think IIS will detect and display automatically? The internal IP only. Whereas when you run IIS on the gateway computer it will detect both the internal IP address and the external IP address for the gateway computer.Since on Sify you are behind a sort of one huge LAN whose gateway is the Sify server, I think IIS won't auto-detect your external IP address. But I think it doesn't matter. If any computer from the internet that wants to connect to your IIS uses your external IP to do so, then the connection would be routed correctly to your IIS even if it's configured with your internal IP 🙂 . Afterall routing is Sify's business and people have managed to run servers on Sify provided the corresponding ports are open.

Afterall routing is Sify's business[/b]

after all they have became expert in it .

Routing our money to their pockets

Hehe, my point was that we needn't worry about our external IP. The party that wants to connect to our servers needs to do that 😛

My server is much more picky. When an address is specified it will bind only to that one i.e if localhost is specified it will only appear on localhost, if LAN is given it will only appear on LAN and such. Sometimes I just use 0.0.0.0 to make it bind to all 🙂

Thanks guys...i get it now....well kind of.Anand where do you @$$ign that ip 0.0.0.0 in IIS or local lan?thats not a valid ip thats why i ask?

In IIS of course! You can't make 0.0.0.0 your computer IP. That is supposed to make it bind to all the IPs i.e localhost, LAN and internet. It might not work with IIS though.Get borgchat!

well IIS doesn't take that....as expected it popped up an error message about invalid ip....leave it...... 🙁 Anand, you are not using IIS? what are you workin on then?What the heck is this borgchat?.....I don't find anyone in my lan besides me... 🤔

Have you actually tried just letting IIS be with the 10.X.X.X.X IP it auto-detects?Try running your server with that configuration and see if it works.

IIS s*cks, bigtime. Apache has its problems right now too but it's better than IIS for experienced users. When I was new to this stuff IIS helped me make pretty amazing stuff.
What is borgchat you ask?

Problems solved it seems XPSP2 Firewall was causing the problem. I changed the settings to default and IIS worked.....yahooo.Hey also dunno why am surfin at around 64Kbps when i have a 40Kbps account herethe other nite it was like a miracle all of a sudden pages loaded at lightning speeds.....check the attachment and speeds caluclated when i benchmarked the connection

The 48 and 64 packs aren't much different as regards performance.