ICICI and HDFC Banks to charge for sms alerts now

• Thread starter Thread starter mhsabir
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 11,693
It says they will charge for all savings a/c holders. Dunno if wealth management/privelege banking customers will be exempted or charged

I think I am still a privilege banking customer. Not sure though. They keep on adding and removing me from the group.

chromaniac said:
I do have it! Woo!
All PB/W customers are supposed to have a dedicated personal banker.
Just call him/her for any queries and they'd do the needful. You need not even go to the bank.
My Dad generally calls the bank for cash and hands over a cheque to the guy who delivers the cash!

I do not have a number for my personal banking officer for ICICI Bank. I do have a very nice lady that calls me regularly from Standard Chartered. 😛
Not a big deal though. I would drop in whenever I go to the market this week. 🙂

Alright. Just came back from the local ICICI Bank branch. I was told that essential updates like ATM withdrawal etc. are still free. They are charging for non-essential updates like clearing of cheques etc.
What I am not sure is how to subscribe to these different tiers of SMS updates lol.
I filled out a form to get email updates and told the person to enable email alerts but disable sms alerts (which I believe are not enabled already on my phone).

Am really glad that I am not an ICICI Bank or HDFC Bank customer. Thought of opening an account with HDFC for the VCC (for international payments) but with the ensuing fiasco surrounding Netsafe I'm glad I stayed away.
OTOH OBC has been sending me free weekly alerts for savings account balance. They have now stated that SMS's will come only if the monthly account balance is greater than 25K.
IDBI sends me a free SMS everytime I do a netbanking transaction or swipe my debit card at a POS terminal or withdraw money from an ATM.

Ok. Noticed something funny in the last few days. Had subscribed for mail alerts. And what I see is -
Suppose my balance is 5k & someone transfers me 1k early in the day... I immediately get a message that my balance is 6k and a few hours later I get a message that my balance is 5k (which looks like a fixed time daily alert to me).
I am able to guess from a technical perspective what might be happening and resources may be a factor. But appears a bit lousy user experience.

I hate alerts I get from Standard Chartered. They send me alerts when I take out money or pay using credit card. But they seem to have no provision for me to get alerts about incoming money.
I recently had an incident at an ATM machine. Money did not come out but the slip showed that the transaction was successful. I got the sms from the bank about the money taken out from my account.
I came home fully prepared to file a complaint only to notice that the money was reverted back almost immediately because of a failed transaction. :
SMS alerts are usually instant. But email alerts can take as long as 12 hours. Email alerts are much better as they include money added to my account.

Just noticed this in an email alert HDFC
Please note: From 1st Jan'22,
• If you were paying Rs. 3 per quarter for InstaAlert SMS service, now you will pay only 20 paise + GST per SMS
• The email alert will continue to remain free
• To modify or unsubscribe InstaAlert service
• NetBanking > InstaAlert Registration on the top of the screen
• MobileBanking App > Your Profile

Reactions: SVK
Thank you so much for pointing it out. I just checked one of the email alert and it is there! In the smallest of fonts and at the bottom - no one bothers to read such things. 20ps per SMS is too much!