• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 266
  • Views Views 20,874

mhsabir

Xclusive
Staff member
ISP
Jio & Hathway
ICC Champions Trophy 2013 : India to play Pakistan in the 2013 Champions Trophy in England | Cricket News | ICC Champions Trophy | ESPN Cricinfo

India will take on South Africa in the opening game of the 2013 Champions Trophy in England, the last time the tournament will be held. Two other big draws in the group stages are India versus Pakistan on June 15, and Australia playing New Zealand on June 12, both at Edgbaston.

The top eight in the ICC ODI rankings will be competing in the tournament, starting June 6 next year, divided into two groups of four each. Group A features defending champions Australia, England, New Zealand and Sri Lanka; Group B includes world champions India, Pakistan, South Africa and West Indies. The top two teams from each group will advance to the semi-finals, to be held on June 19 and 20. The final will be played on June 23.

The tournament does not appear in the Future Tournament Programme after 2013, with the ICC moving towards having one championship for each of the game's three formats from 2015.

Is Champions Trophy still there, I thought it was scrapped.When was the last one played?

It was supposed to be scrapped in favour of Test championship, but that got sort of delayed, so they have decided to have a Final edition.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-champions-trophy-2013/content/story/633951.html?CMP=chrome
So no Gambhir and Yuvraj that is an excellent move to be honest. Both have been in pathetic form. Dinesh Karthik redeemed again and so is Rohit. And I reckon Vijay was considered cos of form against Aussies in tests.
MS Dhoni (capt & wk), Shikhar Dhawan, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Dinesh Karthik (wk), M Vijay, Rohit Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Irfan Pathan, Umesh Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Ishant Sharma, Amit Mishra, Vinay Kumar

In: Shikhar Dhawan, Dinesh Karthik, M Vijay, Irfan Pathan, Umesh Yadav, Vinay Kumar

Out: Ashok Dinda, Gautam Gambhir, Shami Ahmed, Yuvraj Singh, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane

Mishra Selected?
I dont think we need three spinners in the squad for a series in England.
Vijay's selection still baffles me
Gambhir's non selection is a warning by selectors to become consistent
Yuvraj should have been selected
Dinesh Karthik seems to be in good form, Is IPL considered for Champions trophy?

Certainly IPL was considered for the selection.
Dinesh Karthik, Amit Mishra and Vinay Kumar all got selected based on IPL performances. Vinay Kumar wasn't even in the probables I guess.
But when time comes to drop a CSK player, IPL performance is not considered. Vijay is not even in the XI of CSK and he is selected, whereas Gambhir, Rahane and even Sehwag who have been doing pretty good in IPL (especially Gambhir) are dropped.
I wonder how will this selection affect Rahane's confidence. This poor lad was on the benches for around 2 years, and is now dropped.Rohit Sharma can never be dropped. He will always perform well in IPL, and the 'talented players' talks will begin pouring in. Then on his IPL performance he will be in the Indian team doing sh*t for 8-10 months. When talks will be about dropping him, another season of IPL will come up, he will perform well and the cycle will go on!

Different yardsticks have used for different players to justify their selection.
for Nohit ipl has been chosen. for Murak vijay Aussie tests were chosen, btw he has played 11 odi's & has been a flop. if the same criteria would have been applied then pujara would have beaten the crap of these 2 bit players. but no some absurd logic was given to his omission. that he has been "rested" 5 months ahead of the test series.
Yuvi anytime a world class player in odi's should have been chosen over these players.
just 2 years back from the WC squad, only 3 players are in the 15.
this team has dhoni's stamp all over it. now it's clear he is showing way to anyone who is not on the same page with him. selection co is a farce

Adding to the absurdity is the fact that gambhir's name is added in the list of 21 probables for the tri-series that follows CT. but yuvi's name has been omitted.
So selectors are confident yuvi will not perform in the tri-series also, but gambhir can regain form. Lol.
both the players have scored identical runs in last 8 odi's.
what happens to tiwari who is sitting out with a century and half century in his last 3 odi's. he is a much better player than vijay

Cheteshwar Pujara - who is injured
Pujara is injured
Gambhir has not been consistent even in this IPL, still has the "poking" issue.
Sehwag I guess wont be selected now. Anyway, he is not in great form either, just one good innings.
Regarding "Rohit", that lad must have backing of somebody very powerful, he gets selected even when he does not perform!
what happens to tiwari who is sitting out with a century and half century in his last 3 odi's. he is a much better player than vijay
Tiwari does not play for CSK, hence no chance 🙂
Link for run scorers in IPL
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2013/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=7720;type=tournament
I think Gambhir has already been given so many chances, he needs to be consistent enough to be in team

It seems BCCI has a contract guaranteeing Nohit all ODI's until 2015 WC irrespective of his performance.

@moindear: Indeed! Rohit has the backing of Gavaskar and Shastri (two very strong people in BCCI) for years! And that backing has only got strong since Sandeep Patil (Mumbai) has become the chief selector.

@Abhishek - Gambhir last 10 innings - 0,88,8,11,15,52,8,33,10,24 avg 25. All games in India except for the duck. Who needs a mental checkup? You could have probably said that Gambhir shoud've been picked cos of experience or give him another chance or something. He has done ok but not up to his standards. Also he has been getting out by trying to guide the ball down to thirdman when there are slips and gully in place with ball angling away. There is not one but many downsides of Gambhir that the selectors were forced to drop him. Next time check facts properly before running your mouth.