• Views Views 1,920

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
The Guardian Unearths a Wall Street Journal Scandal : CJR

The Guardian found evidence that the Journal had been channelling money through European companies in order to secretly buy thousands of copies of its own paper at a knock-down rate, misleading readers and advertisers about the Journal’s true circulation.

So Langhoff set up a complex scheme to channel money to ELP to pay for the papers it had agreed to buy - effectively buying the papers with the Journal’s own cash. This involved the use of other companies although it is not suggested that they were aware they were taking part in a scam.

In other words, according to The Guardian, the Journal funneled money through a middleman to artificially inflate its circulation from San Bernardino Sun-size all the way up to Modesto Bee size. It’s a big no-no for businesses to inflate numbers like that.

TOI is a reputed newspaper right? you hate it? 😱

Yes, May be and may not be too. At this stage I doubt TOI would be doing that, but everything can happen to raise the popularity. Hope DNA comes up with similar article about TOI 😀

Circulation and readership are two different things. Media planners look for readership numbers, not circulation, before buying media space. In India, readership is determined by sampling a few lacs households across India. Media Research User's Council does this in India.
Refer:Media Research Users Council - About MRUC

I know this happened with Hindustan Times.They had 99Rs 1 year, 149Rs 2yrs scheme when they launched.So many sales person ran a trick. They sold papers in name of many relatives/friends by making payment themselves.Also you can recover more than 99Rs a year by recycling paper so no loss. Additionally they got promotion too because of achieving target fast.HT realised this scam later on and from next year, they started delivering coupons only after verification.

When I was in Pune, a friend wanted Mint, which had just been launched (ET has a near monopoly in Pune). This is the sorty he told me. A few days afterwards the newspaper vendor stopped Mint. When asked, he told that ET pressurized vendors not to deal with Mint, otherwise they will stop supplying ET.Times is the worst media house in the world. Anybody to challenge this?

This is what I got from a FB friend. This is a PTI report, look how TOI has distorted it.

as i said its mouthpiece of kangress also iindian express, ndtv (online edition)

as i said its mouthpiece of kangress also iindian express, ndtv (online edition)

I completely agree with you. I have been subscribing to IE for over 7 years now. Shekar Gupta's articles don't hide prejudices. I clearly remember him praising Mulayam to heavens when he supported UPA1. Off late, editorials have been shamelessly biased.

BUT TOI is the worst.