I want to buy edge router x.

nishantt6969

I got banned!
ISP
Airtel Xstream Fiber (300Mbps)
Router : RPi-4B (OpenWrt), TP-Link A6 (AP)
I want to go for edge router x to use warp+ on openwrt using wireguard tunnel, can someone who is using it give download/upload speed information running the same setup, you can ib me for warp+ key.

Based on this forum; user was able to saturate 300Mbps on OpenVPN; so it should easily be able to break 700-900Mbps range on Wireguard, although I doubt Warp would provide you with such speeds; going for a dedicated VPN will be the better option.

Upvote 0
If that is what you get on MAC; then that is probably what you'd get on ER-X too.
I am sure; anyone that uses Airtel 1G and is closer to their Mumbai DC will be able to let you know if this is a limitation on CF or on Airtel.

Upvote 0
so it should easily be able to break 700-900Mbps range on Wireguard

This is not accurate. On relatively cheap devices like that, You can get better open VPN performance because the processor may have aes-ni hw acceleration built into it along with the years of architecture specific improvements.

On wireguard, I'll be surprised if it even reaches 300mbps. I'll guess around 2-250mbps at most.

Upvote 0
any suggestions for router which can do 500mbps? budget is 6k

Upvote 0
processor may have aes-ni
may have is not a definite answer..

If we talk about simple perf to perf, Wireguard uses a fairly lightweight but strong payload encryption algo.
mt7621 on OpenVPN does 20Mbps max if you use aes128cbc, lower with aes256cbc; while it can easily do 300Mbps+ on WG.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
mt7621 on OpenVPN does 20Mbps max if you use aes128cbc, lower with aes256cbc; while it can easily do 300Mbps+ on WG.

Here is mt7621 doing ~100-130mbps Image — Postimages on wireguard (no firewall, no qos)

You aren't the first one to suggest using wireguard on er-x and you can easily find a few dozen threads of people reporting the speeds they are getting on that device.

Upvote 0
Well, I have mt7621 too and it does 300meg (320 to be exact) on WG (I have all the bells and whistles running; including but not limited to policy routing; collectd; unbound). Tested with a server in Singapore.

Upvote 0
Probably not. That's a 5-6+ years old device and I am not sure if you'll be able to even find one now.

Some stats are available here, Table of Hardware: VPN performance
There are some flukes like a 600mhz router is marked to have achieved 280mbps when other much more powerful routers are also at the same level.

You may be able to find more detailed stats by searching for wireguard performance on that device or the processor in that device.

Upvote 0