• Thread starter Thread starter moindear
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1,476

moindear

Internet addict!
ISP
Airtel, ACT
I had already made up my mind that I will buy Samsung Galaxy S 4. I had already checked Xperia Z, did ot find that good, HTC one was not available.
But the problem now is that I am in a big cash crunch due to other financial commitments and I had already sold off my present phone, Asha 311.
My budget as of now is 10k, will use this phone for a year max, sell it off and get some high end phone.
Nokia Lumia 520 is appealing me the most http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_520-5322.php
One of my friend suggested LG Optimus L5 II E460 http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_l5_ii_e460-5293.php
I do not want to buy Samsung Galaxy S Duos
Is nokia 520 fine? With LG I presume there may be some battery issues.
Please suggest!

What's your preferred OS? If you're fine with the limitations of WP8 the IMO the Lumia 520 is the best.

Upvote 0
Used Asha 311, so WP8 shud be fine
I already have Galaxy Tab 7.7 (P6800)
I think Wp8 is gonna be faster and provide more battery backup?
Anyone on the forum bought Lumia 620/520?
Just walked into Univercell store and checked Lumia 520, looks gud, bit bulky, but everything else was good.
Camera was nothing great to write about but it did the task.
The camera button was so hard, no one in the store was able to click it 🙂 Reminds me of new Asha 311 whose lock screen was akin to that!

Upvote 0
Doesnt the Galaxy P6800 support voice calls too? I have the same and have been toying with considering using it as a phone with bluetooth or a wired headset.
My iPhone 4 has some screen damage due to water getting in, else it functions fine... so was considering to start using the tab, yet to take the plunge though. I tried it with another SIM and it was fine, except for the size...

Upvote 0
Lumia 520 is better choice. You would be using brand new and completely different platform for a year and then you can easily decide which one to opt for, for a costly affair, a year later.
Haven't used Lumia 520/620 but used Lumia 820 and Lumia 710 (WP 7.x) for some time. Windows phone is very good and stable platform. Performance is very consistent even across most of the third party apps. From reviews, things are no different with Lumia 520/620/720 etc. OS have some limitations like lack of rotation lock, same audio controls for media, gaming and ringer volume but it didn't bother me after some time of usages. Google support is poor. No official app for any google service except search. Though, GMail and Google contacts (system integrated), GMaps, YouTube, GTalk (no video support) works fine with third party apps, especially youtube via metrotube app.
OS won't allow you to root, use custom ROMs, sideloading apps from third party sources etc. Third party apps have limited permissions and respect app sandboxing very well. Basically, you can not use windows phone as an experimental device which many people prefer for obvious security and privacy reasons.

Upvote 0
moindear said:
Used Asha 311, so WP8 shud be fine
I already have Galaxy Tab 7.7 (P6800)
I think Wp8 is gonna be faster and provide more battery backup?
Anyone on the forum bought Lumia 620/520?
Just walked into Univercell store and checked Lumia 520, looks gud, bit bulky, but everything else was good.
Camera was nothing great to write about but it did the task.
The camera button was so hard, no one in the store was able to click it 🙂 Reminds me of new Asha 311 whose lock screen was akin to that!
Asha 311 is S40 based, a very basic and totally different from WP8!
WP8 is faster and more power efficient than because of OS on the top of native kernel unlike android but Lumia 520 is having just a moderate battery power, so I won't expect any wonder.
Are you sure camera button is that hard?! It could be faulty unit, otherwise its horrible!
You can do lot of things with lock screen on windows phone 8 as third party apps have access to it. There are some nice video demos regarding same on youtube. I guess the one on Asha 311 is static.

Upvote 0
Asha 311 is S40 based, a very basic and totally different from WP8!

WP8 is faster and more power efficient than because of OS on the top of native kernel unlike android but Lumia 520 is having just a moderate battery power, so I won't expect any wonder.

Are you sure camera button is that hard?! It could be faulty unit, otherwise its horrible!

You can do lot of things with lock screen on windows phone 8 as third party apps have access to it. There are some nice video demos regarding same on youtube. I guess the one on Asha 311 is static
I know Asha is S40 based, meant to say that I can adjust to WP8 since it has less apps like Asha 🙂 I am more habituated with Android
Will post review after 2-3 days
rsatbf said:
Doesnt the Galaxy P6800 support voice calls too? I have the same and have been toying with considering using it as a phone with bluetooth or a wired headset.
My iPhone 4 has some screen damage due to water getting in, else it functions fine... so was considering to start using the tab, yet to take the plunge though. I tried it with another SIM and it was fine, except for the size...
I used my tab a lot but rarely for calls since I need to put on BT headset everytime.
The reason to buy a phone is that the stupid manager passed a rule in our small company that Smart phones are allowed in the office but Tabs are not. He is taking out a personal revenge 🙂
Anyways I needed a phone with better internet access than Asha since I cant buy costly phone this time.

Upvote 0