I need to secure my BSNL Broadband connection

routerahul

Hello friends,I am from Bangalore and have been using a BSNL Broadband connection since past one year. (Plan Home 750 Unlimited) I have been trying to find out ways to secure my BSNL broadband connection. In list of connections it shows Default (Unsecured). It maybe a FAQ on this forum. Any pointers to help me resolve this helps. Many thanks,Rahul

appus

The Real
Regulars
Are you talking about Wifi ?

From one of my previous post

I am not sure about which router you have,

I will give you a vague idea !

login to http://192.168.1.1 and enter username/password . Normally it is admin/admin

Click on wireless -> Basic Wireless
Enable wireless [Check that box]
in SSID, give some name (you can change that utstarcom)
then click on save/apply

Now click on Security tab
For a beginner, you can click network authentication as open, WEP encryption key enabled, and choose 128 bit,
choose 1
then type any 13 Hexa digits (0-9, A-F) in 1st row !

eg :ABCDEFFEDCBA4 (total 13) Letter CASE matters !

then save n apply

now open network connection, check for wireless network, see the name you have mentioned, double click it, give the 13 digit key when asked for encryption key !

You should be able to browse with security enabled ! Dont ever keep your wireless open to public !

If you dont understand the above

then the link may help you ! Broadband - Wired DSL Modem Set-up Guide (taken from some other post) !

routerahul

Hey there,Thanks for the response.I am forced to use a UT STARCOM - UT300R2U. Initially I bought a D-link; BSNL chaps said D-Link does not work with BSNL Broadband. I logged in 192.168.1.1, but I don't see the options you have mentioned. One the left, I see Wizard, WAN, LAN, DHCP, DNS.Under WAN, I don't see any field saying SSID and the stuff you are talking about. :(I went through each and every link in the complete interface. I wish I could set up the D-link router which I invested in, but is lying in the closet unused from day one. -Regards,Rahul

appus

The Real
Regulars
can you post Screenshot of your Wireless next to Advance Setup !Well.. before that, is that a model with wireless ? Do you see an antenna in it ? If you dont see Wireless or WLAN, it is not wireless :)If you have a Dlink router, you can very well set it up !! Just tell the model number of Dlink !is it with modem ? Do you have an RJ11 jack (Telephone cable port) for modem ? Or it is just router without modem ? Model number will help

superprash2003

Regulars
Regulars
i dont think ut300r2u is a wifi modem... you could use the dlink with the ut300r2u and setup your wifi just like what appus said

essbebe

Regulars
@members/routerahul/
By @appus Model number will help
Always mention model number. Could be GLB502T or DSL 502 T.
Dlink Settings for Broadband
If not a WIFI model. Settings same for rj45 connection.
If Wireless model read previous post/s

routerahul

I am using a UTStarcom - UT300R2U modem given by BSNL, and
a D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router.

My D-Link GLB502T ADSL2+ Router is lying jobless.

I had purchased both these D-link products as I was told both work seamlessly for a wi-fi broadband experience.
But BSNL guys couldnt set up GLB502 and slapped their own modem.

http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=utstar300r2ubd8.jpg

Here are a few snapshots from 192.168.1.1.

appus

The Real
Regulars
First of all, sorry for the delay in replying..

That one doesnt have Wireless (UTSTAR).
Cant see any option in it !

Dlink got wireless in this? I dont think you have wireless in D-Link ! (this model)

Just will tell you simple steps.. If you have wireless, please reply back !

[*]Give your Computer an IP of 192.168.1.2 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and Gateway 192.168.1.1
[*]DNS you can put of 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.220(of OpenDNS)
[*]Connect the Dlink to your PC (any of the 4 ports )
[*]Open http :// 192.168.1.1 (Router Home page ) with admin/admin (default password?)
[*]Go to the setup Tab
[*]Left side, you will See WAN, and under that, New Connection. Click on it
[*]Name - BSNL
Type - PPPoE
Give username/password of Connection
Authentication : Auto

Sharing - Enable

Encapsulation :LLC

PVC:new
VPI-0
VCI -35

[*]Rest all, you keep the default value
[*]Save the setting, restart, it should connect !
[/list]
Incase you need the manual, here it is Manual

I am sure you will know the basics ! (connecting telephone jack to dlink router and all) !