I have Tata Sky HD box... do I need to upgrade box to MPEG4

• Thread starter Thread starter anupam_luv
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2,538

anupam_luv

ISP
Airtel
I have Tata Sky HD box bought in Sept 2012... do I need to upgrade box to MPEG4 ???
I am asking this because tatasky cust care said u need to change it ... I asked them tht my box is hd and is also showing DVB S and DVB S2 (in add channels option in Organser>User Settings> Add Channels>Scan )
But she still insisted that I need to change.... when I asked her to change it she said u need to pay Rs 990 because free replacement scheme is for SD boxes only...
Now I'm confused whether to go for it and just ignore it because currently all the channels are working ,. even after many sms I got from TS that blah.. blah... channels will not work after blah blah date ... but till date all the channels are working ....
Wht u guys suggest? Are tatasky deliberately forcing me to pay money for upgrade which is not required or is it really required?
(I also have 2 more secondary SD boxes, which will be replaced tomorrow free of cost,... I also doubt on it as both were purchased after 2011, both are black and have no buttons for changing channels on it)

I think they are forcing you.
Check if you can view any channel that is on MPEG-4.

HD works on MPEG-4, its not mandatory, but MPEG-4 has more compression capability, so worldwide all TV operators are using MPEG-4 for HD broadcast. So Tata Sky must be using MPEG-4 for HD, and since your current STB is capable of decoding HD, it is very much capable of decoding MPEG-4 🙂
This CC people are just trained parrots, who have given set of instruction to be read out to customers. They don't understand technical details working in background. Tomorrow if they are instructed to say customers need to upgrade to MPEG-5 STB, they will tell same to customers, and not bother to check if MPEG-5 really exists 🙂