I dont have recharge in my Airtel Xstream Fiber but my internet is working what should I do?

@justageeek My Airtel subs is due for renewal today or tomorrow. Thought of upgrading to 1G but dropped the idea. 300 Mbps is a kind of sweet spot for me. I don;t subscribe for 1 year even if they offer a discount as a 3 or max 6 month subs is enough just in case I have to part ways with the provider.

Ok Guys, want to update on this @Chip @nishantt6969 ...

That free Internet thing is again working, plus I am getting 1Gbps speeds again, on all speediest servers / everywheree.

So here's the big explanation how it actually stopped and how I started getting that again.

So what happened actually, on around 4th or 5th June.......
my fiber strand had a weak signal, so I got a LOS light. What the Airtel LCO did was, he put me and my neighbor under same fiber strand with a splitter in the junction box , and this was despite the fact he had put a 6 core fiber cable of 150 m length from FAT box to my terrace.

He could have simply given another strand from 6 core from FAT box, but was lazy to do so, to go back to other building climb those 3 floors, etc..
Fast Forward a bit.....

Real problem started more recently in start of July first with slow speeds ( 0.69 mbps uploads ) to both me and my neighbour .
So I did complain, and they resolved it in a day without visiting, but then started disconnects. Both of ours internet disconnected 2 to 3 times a day for 25-30 minutes.
What I observed was that I was getting pretty low optical power variable from -28 dbm to -33 or -34 dbm and Internet stopped working at -33. Same with my neighbor, but his stopped working at -32.5, and he always had better power. ( Probably wrong reading by the ONTs )

Then I complained again,

This time, Airtel Technicians visited first with all the slicer machine and other equipments, then they realised, they even don't know where's the FAT Box and all and said the LCO will visit.
(In my city OLT is also of Airtel, FAT Box is also of Airtel . Just putting up the line from FAT box was done by LCO and even probably the area is transitioning from LCO service to Airtel Technicians probably.)
Had to follow up a lot with them, someone from LCO / Airtel side even closed complaints 2 times without resolving.
Finally on 26th July, The LCO guy game, removed the splitter, and put strand in FAT Box. I am now getting -25 normally, and it goes down to -28dbm sometimes. Neighbour has -22, and he goes down till -26dbm.

I will be happy if the area won't be under LCO, coz even the LCO guys keeps their mouth shut even on asking anything, they don't say much as if it is some business secret, and if like telling or suggesting them anything, they are very rude. Even their policies are bad. As per them any signal above -30dbm (mind the -ve sign ) is good. While As per Airtel , or even the Airtel Xstream Fiber App, any signal above -26dbm is good

Now the big question I have for which even google didn't give me an answer, why does optical fluctuate so much, at random times of the day, even where there is no wind, or anything and at different varying times of the day ? I am getting no idea of it. @chipp @nishantt6969 if you know anything do let me know,

But what I get is, my internet used to disconnect daily, which reset my connection and stopped me from connecting when plan expired. Now that the cable has improved, the same old bug is back, and I am able to still continue using internet, that too at 1000mbps speeds again.

Ideal power is better than -27 dBm. You will be able to see this in your router's 'optical block' (or similar) details page once you login. AFAIK optical power can vary due to the following reasons as per reasons given by TPBB tech:
a) Distance from OLT
b) No. of connections from OLT
c) Night and day..yes it can vary during day time especially in the summer when the drop cable is exposed to strong sunlight
d) Damage to feeder cable or drop cable. Sharp bends in the cable will mess it up. Also, with splices power loss increases
e) Loose connections or misaligned connectors at the OLT, splitter or even your ONT i.e. anywhere along the path.

Well, if you're now getting 1 Gig..enjoy the ride 🙂 My experience with 1 Gig was a total disappointment. I am back to 300 Megs now. No point wasting money.

I have had -30dBm for a good amount of time, thanks to airtel and the internet worked just fine.
So I doubt it all depends on the Rx recieved on the ONU.

Yes Night and Day affects

but still it's very random, Sometimes the power drop happens at 10 AM Morning, sometimes 8:30 AM.... like wise sometimes 2 PM, sometimes 3:30PM
If it would be like for some random 5-10 secs, it would be okay, but this is like , it happens for whole 30-45 minutes.

I guess there could be some loose connections at their Fiber Access Terminal ( FAT ) Box or OLT .

Yup, I am getting 1 Gig, enjoying it.

I have had -30dBm for a good amount of time, thanks to airtel and the internet worked just fine.
So I doubt it all depends on the Rx recieved on the ONU.

Ideally you shall have more than -27 or -26dbm

Connection works upto -32.5 or -33 ( those routers are not very accurate at measuring exact level ) , but there are fluctuations with wind, causing sharp bends etc.

In my city airtel has different OLTs for different areas in order to provide 300Mbps to all active users on OLTs. I was previously on Nokia Alcatel OLT now on ZTEG OLT as I shifted to different area.

Also, airtel has partnered with ZTE for OLTs. Newer cities will be running on ZTE now, information given by backend engineer of Airtel in my City,

Which router you guys using for 1gbps speed? I was on Dason ONT which was having channel width 160mhz which is able to give 1gbps but they updated router firmware from backend and 160mhz removed and on 80mhz I only get around 500-600mbps.

Last edited:
Dasan is the only ONT officially given by Airtel for 1Gbps customers, I'd suggest getting yourself a separate access point, preferably an AX series if you want max speeds over wifi.

@nishantt6969
Maybe they will shift back to Nokia or others, they must be using already procured OLTs because last year Govt. started to enforce importing only from trusted sources due to security reasons, even for private companies.

The other way might be true as well though, don't know how much telecom companies are following the rules.

Last edited:
@justageeek only core network equipment (read mostly NOC) has been banned, not smaller end user equipment like ONTs. What we see with OLTs etc may be an order placed before the ban came into place. Also, alternatives need to be identified or service will be affected. That's a given.

Now with the shift to 5G, Chinese suppliers have been firmly locked out. Samsung, Nokia and Ericsson are the companies that will supply this gear. FTTx will continue with the current BAU.

@shashank19891
My best suggestion to you would be using a LAN cable. Because at majority of times, you won't need 1gbps speeds. I have listed down a few routers, if you do need. Gigabit LAN Cables also have practical limit of 930mbps, you will roughly get 925mbps.

For WiFi even with WiFi 5 ( 802.11 ac standard ) , most of which are rated at 866mbps ( AC1200 to AC 1800 ) , you will get max of 550mbps that too when you are sitting next to the router and when both your device and router support features like MU-MIMO ( Multi User - Multi Input Multi Output ). Although majority of the phones today support it. In real world you can expect to get around 250-300mbps

WiFi 6 ( 802.11 ax) will cost a lot, it comes with WPA3 security as well. But as it was launched in 2019, Only very few devices from 2020 onwards ( Flagship phones, and mid range gaming laptops from 2021 support it )

Here are Some Routers I found for you .

Top 4 by Price & performance. 1st & 2nd wont give you real world 1Gbps speeds.

1) D-Link R15 AX1500
D-Link Website - Info
Croma :- Rs. 3250 - Manufacturing - China
Amazon :- Rs. 3250 -Manufacturing - Taiwan

2) D-Link Exo AX1500 - ( Difference - 4 Lan ports instead of 3 )
D-Link Website - Info
Reliance Digital - Rs. 4600 - Manufacturing - Taiwan
Amazon - Rs. 4000 - Manufacturing - Unknown
Amazon - Priced at Rs 2800, but the seller doesn't seem genuine - Manufacturing Unknown

3) D-Link DIR 2150 AC 2150 ( WiFi-5 Only ) - now discontinued probably -- Highly Recommended
(Will recommend this one - will mostly likely give you Full 1Gbps speeds on wireless at upto around 10Ft of clear line of sight )
D-Link Website - Info
Amazon - Rs. 3533 - China Manufactured
Amazon Renewed - Rs. 2949 - China Manufactured

4) Mecrusys MR80x (AX3000) - ( New Chinese company ) -Recommended for Speed as well as WiFi 6 Functions. Security flaws may exist
Mercusys Website - Info
Amazon - Rs 4500
-- Best Chinese Router, Best by price to performance as well.

--- Here onwards less recommended due to price -----

5) Netgear Nighthawk RAX 40 AX3000 ( WiFi -6 ) - Probably the Best Non Chinese Router.
One person got 990mbps on WiFi with fast.com
Net Gear Website - Info
Amazon - Rs 12000 - Vietnam Manufactured

6) Linksys Max-Stream EA8100 AC2600 ( WiFi 5 - Only ) --- Overall Best - By Non Chinese & General Price.
Linksys Website - Info
Amazon - Rs 9000 - Vietnam Manufactured

7) D-Link DIR-X5460 AX5400 ( WiFi 6 )
D-Link Website - Info
Amazon - Rs 9655 - China Manufactured

8) TP-Link Archer AX72 AX5400
TP-Link Website - Info
Amazon - Rs 9000

9) Huawei AX3 (AX3000) - Same specs as 4th no., but cheaper . Not recommended after the global ban.
Huawei Website - Info
Amazon - Rs 4199

Extra Infos :-

Taiwanese Companies :- D-Link, Asus
Chinese Companies :- TP-Link, Huawei, Mercusys, Tenda
American -Taiwanese company - Linksys

American Company - Netgear

As far as Chinese companies go for their software, only TP-Link had least Vulnerabilities.

For LAN Cable use CAT 5e at least or CAT 6 and onwards with all 4 pairs of wire connected and in T-568B config if you want 1Gbps.

1Gbps rated LAN ports can give you up to around 930mbps speed, due to limitation of other protocols which make up the rest of 70mbps, with jumbo frames can give you up to 990mbps. More info at here

Will recommend you to go with 4th router mostly, its a very good deal, although its WiFi 5 only, its speeds are good.
At home more or less we charge our phones, so only difference WiFi 6 will make here is slightly better speeds and slightly better power consumption.
Else recommend you to go with Mercusys one. 5th,6th,7th and 8th might not be worth the investment

Edits :- Just got a warning my moderator to not quote every message.

Last edited:
@Chip
Yes, that is true, but doesn't OLT also constitute in that ? Of course Network operations Centre has definitely much more at stake.

On a side note :- I have a Tenda Router, and I started using OpenDNS, the Tenda Router pings api.cloud.tenda.com.cn something 3000 times a day

Last edited: