I&B Ministry wants DTH Operators to cough up Rs 2000 crore in license fees

Navjot Singh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Airtel
The Information and Broadcasting Ministry has asked six DTH operators, including market leaders Tata Sky and Dish TV, to pay over Rs 2,000 crore, which the ministry said they collectively owe to the government in lieu of the licence fee. The ministry sent demand notices on Friday to Tata Sky, Dish TV, Sun Direct, Airtel Digital TV, Reliance Digital TV and Videocon D2H, asking them to pay up the sum within 15 days. This followed a ministry-ordered independent audit of the accounts of the six operators.

The calculation has been made on the basis of the gross revenue of each operator. The time period for calculating the arrears is from the day the licences were issued to each of them.

The issue relating to licence fee payment has been going on between the ministry and the operators for a few years now. The Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) had, in a 2010 order, said DTH operators should pay 10 percent of their adjusted gross revenue as licence fee. The ministry had taken the matter to the Supreme Court where the case is pending. "How could the ministry do this, given the fact that the matter is sub-judice ," said Harit Nagpal, managing director at Tata Sky.
Source
Mil jo chahe thoda paisa haan re paisa, paisa paisa, magar kaise?
Aise.

Funny I'm currently studying about Indian economics ; about how we changed from License raaj to Liberalisation in 91 and how they're making the same mistake again.
I might be completely wrong as I'm not even an economics student

Even if a license fee is required, it should be on net profit. Most of DTH revenues end up going to the broadcaster.

The customer will end up paying more.

Well it shud me on revenue only imho but 10% is too high.

DTH smoothly chal raha tha na, let mess with it.

and election time god knows cash kahan se adjust hoga is country mein.

Already Sonia has appointed SEBI for arranging money in this General Elections. These seems to be smaller dessert