I am getting a new connection. What are all these new broadband plans? What router do I choose?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mamu Mogambo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 3,242
ISP
BSNL
OKAY, so I have filled my application for a new connection (ULD 800). I didn't ask for a router 'cause I am planning to buy a new one. I was planning to buy TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router. Came to realize, I cannot use this for WiFi (or BSNL Broadband for that matter). Dumb me. So, after searching the web for a bit I narrowed down these two modem-routers: TP-LINK TD-W8968 300 Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2 Modem Router and Asus DSL-N10E Wireless-N150 ADSL Modem Router. I am bit worried though. What if I run into some problem in the future and the BSNL technician doesn't know how to fix it or some other problem.

Q. What will the BSNL router cost me? Is it better to buy the TP-Link or Asus one? What will be the pros and cons?

Also, I chose the ULD 800 plan 'cause I need 512Kbps atleast. I went to the BSNL website a few minutes ago and find these two new plans:
a. New unlimited Broadband plans with higher FUP bandwidth on promotional basis for 90 days w.e.f 10.05.2014
b. The new UL 545 and ComboUL 675

So,
Q. I don't know what the first one is. What is it? Is it like a plan for a month ir something?
Q Since, I don't care about the certain amount of limited data given to me at higher speeds (i.e. 1Mbps) in my ULD 800 plan (I'd much rather have consistent speed, should I switch to the new UL 545 or ComboUL 675 plan? If yes, which one?

The BSNL people are supposed to install the new connection (along with landline) on Monday, so I have Sunday to make the decisions and make the necessary amendments. Please help me out guys.

BSNL model would probably be horrible so get this... TP-LINK TD-8817 ADSL2+ Ethernet/USB Wired with Modem Router

And from what I understand you can use any wireless router that works with a DSL connection. I personally prefer to have separate devices for modem and routers. Though you can get a single device for both.

The unit they gave me made random noise and the backend was horrible. It works of course. Someone here should be able to recommended 2-in-1 solutions.

For me range is not the problem, internet getting disconnected frequently is. Will the BSNL modem be good enough and since it probably costs almost as much as any other modem that I'll buy, should I buy my own? Will I run into any trouble if I do?

BSNL does not care if you buy your own modem. Settings are quite basic so they are not going to blame the modem if there are any issues. In fact, their representative used the third party modem just like he would do the official modem because the backend is usually similar in all of them. Not sure how much BSNL is charging for their own modem these days but I do not see the point of paying for what they provide.

Does BSNL still supply modem ? If yes, I doubt you will get a brand new one. Personally I have used BSNL modem (and have the old one with me). It is quite ok for domestic use provided it is in good condition. But I would recommend TP-Link or D-Link modem. If you are not good enough to configure it, you can post the screen shots here. We will try to help.

Configuration is not a problem. It comes down to, "Should I spend my money on BSNL modem, which is most likely to be 'Sarkari' at its job, or on a seperate modem which is going to be good in quality but is going to be a problem with the BSNL people probably."

Will try to give you simple answers:
1.Dont get modem/router from BSNL. It is not of great quality and when I had bsnl router, it gave me several issues.
2.I currently have the same Asus router that you have linked in your first post. It works flawlessly, never loses connectivity and has a fairly good wifi range.
3.If you are OK with 512kbps speed, then you better get the Rs545 or 675 plan.
4.The promotion plans are available for a limited time after which they may be discontinued. If you want 1mbps after those few gigs of fast speed, then get the ULD1445 plan. If you subscribe for it now, it will be active forever, even when if the promotional plans are discontinued after 90 days.

You can get a decent WiFi modem + router for Rs. 2,000. A few extra bucks will get you an superior quality modem. BSNL modems are made by Chines brands like ZTE.

blueman24 said:
4.The promotion plans are available for a limited time after which they may be discontinued. If you want 1mbps after those few gigs of fast speed, then get the ULD1445 plan. If you subscribe for it now, it will be active forever, even when if the promotional plans are discontinued after 90 days.
Hey bro i am from haryana and i just checked bsnl broadband plans. I found 2 new promotional plan.
BBG Combo ULD 1445 : 2 Mbps upto 20 GB, 1 Mbps beyond 20 GB
BBG Combo ULD 2799 : 4 Mbps upto 30 GB, 2 Mbps beyond 30 GB
I want to know if i get any of these plan activated now then will my plan activated forever or i have to change my plan after 90 days.

^^ lol I already tried to tell it as clear as possible in my post that you quoted. If you activate the plan now, I will be yours for the whole freakin life.